Best tool to trim top of pine cabinet?

I've got to trim a quarter inch off of the top of a pine cabinet to make room for a new refrigirator. The cabinet sits above the refrigorator. I've got the cabinet section off, and before I have at it with my circular saw, I thought I'd like to hear suggestions on how to make the cleanest cut. I'm looking for a very straight line, with no chips on the edge of the cut. Just to make it difficult, I can't find an exact match for the original stain so it will be difficult to hide any cutting chips or splinters.

I was thinking of using my circular saw with a new blade (what to get?) and clamp a long level to use as a fence, then pray!

Any suggestions woule be most welcome.

-john

Reply to
John

It sounds like you're looking for the safest, surest and cleanest way to trim it. A circular saw might come out fine, but it makes for a high speed "oops" if anything goes wrong. Since you have an orginal finish you want to preserve, I think the safest surest way would be to use a hand plane. It will definitely give the cleanest edge. It won't take long at all to plane off a 1/4" on pine.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Quarter inch? Router with a flush trimming bit. Preferably down cutting. Fast, easy, clean.

Max D.

Reply to
Max

Check that. Use a pattern bit. Follow a straight edge clamped to the cabinet. (I'm still a little sleepy this morning after staying up late working on some cabinet doors)

Max D.

Reply to
Max
[...]

... but since this planing would be on end grain it takes longer *and* he risks breaking of large splinters at the end of the plate...

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Reply to
Pat Barber

I had to do the same thing when we bought a new refrigerator. I used the flush trim method and that worked except I couldn't get to the ends because the router didn't have enough room. So I finished up on each end with one of those Japanese pull saws very carefully. It looked very nice and the only thing I had to finish was the bottom of the cut. Then it wasn't noticeable.

After I pushed in the new refrigetor no one could see my pains taking work because the refrigerator sticks out 10" farther than the cabinet. I am 6-3 and I am the only one in our house that can see it when I stand up on my toes.

Reply to
Pat Payne

I'd take the doors off and run it through the table saw using the fence as the guide. It would be similar to cutting the top off a large box.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

(snip)I'd take the doors off and run it through the table saw using the fence

How many guys do you think it would take to run a refrigerator over a table saw? ;) --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

"Dave Jackson" wrote in news:8AU8e.8981$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

And would that justify an upgrade to a cabinet saw? ;-) - Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I'd use the table saw too. I might put a piece of 1/4" or something under the finished front to protect it.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

My tablessaw is not that good anymore. I think I may try the router bit on some scrap wood first, see how that goes.

Good suggestions from everyone. Thanks.

Reply to
John

Reply to
Phisherman

It's Tuesday in Italy. Time to upgrade to a cabinet saw.

I'm looking at the Powermatic with the 30" fence option. (right now I can rip about 12", so 30 seems like a pipe dream.)

Reply to
Charles Krug

not a problem breaking things off if done properly. I find it hard to believe the whole top of the cabinet would be all end grain ... strange construction.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I would use a hand plane, but not just any plane. I would use a long plane, a jointer or jack plane if you can find it. These planes are usually about 12 inches long, and can be as long as 20 inches. This would prevent a problem with the straightness of the line.

Reply to
woodworker88