Best tool for making picture frames?

Page 2 of 2

I have a small dedicated 45d miter sled that I use for cutting edge banding strips, frames, etc. on the table saw. It is the type that has a 90d 'V' with the point of the V aimed at the saw blade. It works very well for me. You should be able to google up a set up plans or check out a good book on table saws from a library.

Larry W wrote:

Fred Bingham to the rescue, it's in his book and it works for me.
Lew
Miter sled using 1/4" ply, 1X scraps, Tee nuts and bolts for pivot points for 1X and blocks just over 45 glued to base to slip shims into for fine adjustments. Pivot a 1X runner near the kerf in the ply, glue the block near the other end of the sled, adjust for quality cuts.

angle, but they came out fine.

> I've been making my own picture frames but the joints are off slightly so I

On my website at http://www.amgron.clara.net/planingpoints/shuteingboards/shuteingindex.htm there are drawings for making a shooting board. This includes a mitre attachement.
Best of luck!

Hum ............................. !
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

My website has been down due to a DOS attack so I hesitated to reply 'til the bastids stopped.
Consider making a miter sled for your table saw like the one on the Jig and Fixtures page of my website.
http://www.e-woodshop.net/Jigs.htm
Big plus is the _exact_ "45 degree" angle basically becomes a moot point (particularly with the usual widths of picture frame miters) because the order of cut insures complementary angles, and the jig allows you to use a stop block to insure the sides are all cut the same length.
These two concepts combined make miters that fit perfectly a much easier task, with much less tweaking.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07