Best three easy improvements to my shop. How about yours?

Frequently, alt.* newsgroups are added _only_ when a customer specifically requests it -- too many 'prank' groups in the hierarchy. If it isn't on your server, contact your provider and _ask_ for it.

This is a functionality of the software you use to read USENET.

There are _multiple_methods_ used for 'encoding' non-text stuff.

The 'classical'/traditional method for USENET is called "uuencode" These messages have a line with the word 'begin', followed by a 3 or 4 digit number, followed by the file-name.

With the advent of MIME, which by definition is for _mail_, some people started using MIME's 'base64' encoding in USENET news articles as well.

These messages have 'standard' MIME sub-headers, and a block of base64 encoded data

Then, some *idiots* decided to invent 'yet another method', which they called 'yenc'. They just built the software and uploaded it to various free distribution points. It's supposed advantage over the standard methods is that the actual "messages" transmitted are smaller -- both uuencode and base64 require 4 bytes of 'text' in the message to represent

3 bytes of the actual binary file. Yenc uses 8-bit data, and 'escapes' a few characters that are 'known' to be dangerous -- with the result that if the message passes through a server that it *not* '8-bit clean' (and _many_ news-servers are *not*, even to this day), the message is irreparably corrupted. But, robustness of design was -not- a consideration for yenc's designers. If some part of the 'rest of the world' doesn't behave in accordance with their 'expectations', then "obviously" that part of the rest of the world is 'in error', and it is *their* problem to fix it. People that use 'yenc' encoding are: stupid, ignorant, inconsiderate, uncaring, or some combination thereof -- probably "most of the above". :)

Anyway, depending on what software you use to read news, it may, or may *not*, automatically recognize some/most/all of the above-mentioned encoding methods.

*IF* it recognizes the encoding, then it can 'decode' things to get back the original file . Which it then has to hand off to some form of 'viewer' to display the content. 'pictures' come in a _whole_slew_ of file formats: '.GIF` developed by CompuServe, some compression, limited colors '.PNG' "picture, the next generation" (I'm *NOT* kidding!" a GIF replacement to sidestep some legal (patent) issues with the methodology of creating GIF images. '.JPG' "photo-realistic" (i.e. 16million color) images, 'lossy compression', but compresses to much smaller than GIF files. designed for 'efficient' storage of actual photographic images '.BMP' Microsoft's "windows bitmap" format -- "who cares about file size? it's quick and simple, and doesn't take much processing" can easily be _hundreds_ of times larger than an equivalent JPG '.TIFF' a portable specification for high-resolution computer-generated work. not so good for reproducing actual photographic images '.PS` and '.EPS' the infamous "PostScript", designed for computer-generated technical graphics. '.PDF' Adobe's 'portable document format', which can (obviously) include images -- needs "acrobat reader", or a functional equivalent, to view the content.

and probably at least 50 other varieties.

Not to mention that some people are posting images in "MacroMedia ShockWave Flash" (enhanced web-page add-in) format.

Practically all image rendering s/w knows what to do with GIF and JPG, and almost everything written in the last 5+ years knows what to do with PNG images. For broader coverage, you may have to employ multiple viewers, and/or specialized 'helpers' for specific file formats.

if your newsreader understands the 'encoding', and can recover the actual 'binary', it _still_ has to "know what to do" with that stream of bits. If it's in a file format it doesn't know how to display..... well you won't be able to see the picture. ;)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I guess I'll order four bottles, and take them all. I'm sure they'll work. Hell, I've got 2,000,000 ? coming from a lottery I just won, so I can afford it. (All I had to do was give them my checking and savings account numbers to prove I'm over 18, and they're going to deposit 2,000,000 ? into my account. What a deal! I didn't even enter the lottery! So that will be $2,600,000 in real money. Woot!)

I'm wondering about the chemistry part. I stirred ye olde pisse buckete today, and I have a bucket full of sodden, yellowish, very stinky wood shavings. It doesn't seem to stink as long as I keep a fresh layer on top, but I'm thinking this might not be so friendly a thing to have around once the weather gets warmer and temperatures inside my shop climb to 120 F on a regular basis.

Maybe the heat will speed some chemical reaction and the stuff will start to compost itself in the bucket.

If nothing else, this should be a great thing for patinating copper. Put ye olde copper ware into the pisse buckete, and watch it greenify nicely, I'd imagine.

Reply to
Silvan

I have been following this thread with some interest and note that no one has listed a dust collector or dust collection system among the top 3. I have been considering adding one to my shop and now I wonder if it is really a significant improvement.

John

Reply to
John Broadway

It's a big improvement, but for many of us it wasn't easy. Doing my DC installl was a long slog for me. So I didn't think installing a DC really fit the question posed by the OP.

Tim Carver snipped-for-privacy@twocarvers.com

Reply to
Tim Carver

YES. If you have or plan to get a planer you NEED one. They make a lot of chips. Saves me a lot of cleanup at the saw also as it get 90%+ of the dust. It is not very efficent for the bandsaw and I still have to hook it in to the sander.

I did not post to this thread so now that I did, insulation and white walls is a big help also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

(Pictures at

Moved my shop from an 11' x 18' space to a 50' x 50' space. Now I have to drive 15 miles to the shop; but it's like getting a new lease on life to have the space.

[2] Added a ShopBot PRT-96 (with 5 HP, 0-24,000 RPM Colombo spindle) to the tool set and learned to speak its language (not necessary because its software will work from DXF files; but my programs are interactive, much faster, and considerably more flexible). Now I can work to ±0.0015" tolerances (in 3D!) and know that parts will always fit as intended. [3] Built a dust collection system using the inexpensive HF dust collector, two recycled plastic drums, a pair of cyclone separator lids, and 30' of 4" hose. There's no more haze in the shop and cleanup is a *lot* easier. [4] Replaced the original Delta fence and miter gauge on my TS with Incra's fence and miter gauge. My old Unisaur suddenly became much easier to use and the accuracy of my work is better than ever before.
Reply to
Morris Dovey

yep. in hot weather you'll probably want to empty it daily. in my case, I'll drink enough water in hot weather that I'll fill the bucket by the end of the day anyway.

you don't want it to compost in the bucket. you want it to compost on the ground, or even underground.

Reply to
Bridger

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:21:07 -0700, Bridger scribbled:

I save my shavings for mixing with lawn clippings. They turn into an slimy smelly mat otherwise (the lawn clippings, that is) because of anaerobic decomposition.

Dunno. Sawdust has an amazing water absorption capacity.

And I track less sawdust into the house, thereby avoiding one source of contention, not that there is anything wrong with sawdust on the floors. My argument about sawdust making it easier to sweep floors never flew, for some reason.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 11:04:28 -0500, BRuce scribbled:

Good thinkin', 99! I got this length of 4" PVC I no longer need. I'll do that as soon as the snow melts and I can find the damn thing.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

I did not list the DC as in the top 3, because I got a DC from the very beginning. I guess I take the DC for granted now, but there's a BIG difference in sneezing/coughing if I forget to turn it on! The cordless remote ON/OFF switch was an easy improvement.

Reply to
Phisherman

That's an amusing one... SWMBO has been tracking as much sawdust into the house as I have lately. Every place in the USA is out of ice melter stuff, and our porch/driveway has been a sheet of glaze ice for weeks now. In order to prevent broken hips, I've been dumping shavings on top of the ice. Better than nothing. It makes a big mess when tracked into the house though.

Fortunately, SWMBO is as big of a slob as I am, so this isn't a point of contention really. We have a broom somewhere, and a vacuum cleaner we used in 1999 or so.

Dirt, sawdust and dog hair are all seriously underrated as floor coverings, IMHO.

Reply to
Silvan

The thought of a "powerful magnate on a stick" just made my day. I can think of several magnates who certainly deserve such treatment.

Nice account of kid-friendliness in a shop!

Warren

Reply to
Warren Senders

I have one of those in my office/studio (I'm a music teacher when I'm not making sawdust). I store my cassette collection in it. Almost 2000 tapes. Geez.

Warren

Reply to
Warren Senders