Best three easy improvements to my shop. How about yours?

Page 5 of 6
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 11:04:28 -0500, BRuce <BRuce> scribbled:

Good thinkin', 99! I got this length of 4" PVC I no longer need. I'll do that as soon as the snow melts and I can find the damn thing.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
scribbled:

How could I forget improvement No. 7 (actually should be #1), especially considering Silvan's vulgar hijacking of another thread to the topic I am about to bring up.
1. A pee bucket. A plastic bucket filled with sawdust. I no longer need to walk out to the garden beds (during the winter) or the compost heap (during the summer). The stuff just gets dumped on the compost in the spring: a good combination of nitrogen and carbon. No smell. Thank you, Doug Stowe.
Luigi Note the new email address. Please adjust your krillfiles (tmAD) accordingly Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Can you explain this further? Can you post a picture on abpw?
UA100

NOOOOOO......
Since when is urine good for compost and/or vegetation?

since the beginning.
there is such a thing as too much, of course, but that's quite a bit.

Nitrogen in the urea. Wood-decomposing organisms use lots of nitrogen as they eat the cellulose. Once the cellulose is eaten, all of the nitrogen is available for plants again. You need to add nitrogen to a compost heap if you put in lots of woody material. Urine is readily available.
Urine is, unless you have a bladder infection, sterile. Feces contain lots of nutrients also, but are a public health hazard. Cholera, anyone? Livestock manure must be composted in order to cook any pathogens which may be present.
What goes around, comes around.
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

scribbled:

Since forever. It's one of things that make horse manure a good fertiliser. According to an article in a Canadian gardening magazine a few years back, urine is actually a 10-1-1 fertiliser very high in nitrogen. Like other fertilisers, undiluted, it will "burn" plants, but diluted 10 to one, it works very well. East Asian farmers have been using human wastes as fertiliser for thousands of years.
In a compost bin, an important consideration is the ratio of nitrogen to carbon. If you use sawdust in your compost, you need to add a high nitrogen component like urine or grass clippings, otherwise it will take forever to rot.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
brought forth from the murky depths:

Maybe he could send you a couple bites so you could smell and taste it, too? (You midwesterners are a strange lot.)
--
REMEMBER: First you pillage, then you burn.
---

Can't post the pitcher 'cause I ain't got one, and I ain't got a digital camera, and it would take too long to take a pitcher, get it developed, scan it and post it. But hopefully, verbal instructions will suffice.
1. First, you need to find a bucket. Best are the taller 23-litre (6 gallons Keith, 5 gallons Jeff) plastic ones, but the 19 or 16 litre ones also work in a pinch. The tall ones can be found in any Italian grocery store in September or at your local home-brewing shop.
2. Take the lid off the bucket. This is by no means obvious or easy. Those lids are stuck on permanently. Your best bet is to use a retractable Olfa knife with a fresh blade to cut open the top. But be careful not to let the knife slip or you might cut a gash in your thigh (not to speak of other parts of your anatomy close to your thigh), and end up having to go to the hospital to get stitched up. DAMHIKT. You may then use the knife to hijack a plane.
3. Follow the instructions on the 23-litre pail. i.e. transfer the grape juice to a fermenter and add yeast. After it has stopped fermenting, rack off the young wine into a carboy and add sulfite. You may continue with the winemaking process in other containers, but the bucket is now ready to use.
4. If you're tall and don't have a home brew shop or an Italian grocery store nearby, you might consider first investing in penis enlargement pills to improve your aim to the shorter buckets. Penis enlargement pills are available everywhere on the internet. Coming to think of it, they would be useful even with the taller buckets, unless you're really short.
5. If you don't have an Italian grocery store or U-Brew near you, you could go to your local airstrip and talk to the bush plane mechanics. They get their lubricating oil in 19-litre (5 gallons, Keith) pails. Once you have the bucket, you will need to dump the remaining oil down the sewer and thoroughly wash the pail with detergent and TSP.
6. Put in a bit of dirt or compost at the bottom of the pail.
7. Get a shovel or dust pan, go under your table saw and fill the pail with sawdust. Do not use cedar, walnut, redwood or any tropical hardwood sawdust. Those are bad for your plants and don't compost very well. Maple, birch & poplar are best. Oak & resinous conifers are OK.
8. When the urge takes you, step to the bucket, take careful aim and let go.
9. You may use a stick to mix the compost every once in while.
10. Use the wine you made in #4 as salad dressing. Or get your SO to put it in fancy bottles and add herbs and sell it at the craft fair alongside your pukey ducks. Do not put the wine in the compost, the acetic acid had a deleterious effect.
11. Every once in while, when you've accumulated enough sawdust under your table saw to fill up a bucket, empty the pee bucket in the compost and go back to #6.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Another aspect that I'm sure must affect others here... It helps if you go on a diet and exercise regimen so you can shrink your gut far enough to actually *see* your penis. Aim is a real problem otherwise. DAMHIKT. Maybe I need some of Luigi's penis enlargement pills.

What about lathe shavings? My ye olde pisse buckete is filled with green maple streamers and chippings. I'm short on sawdust these days, since I retired my boat anchor, and am waiting on my tax refund to replace it.

Will it ever fill up, or is it a bottomless pit? It seems like I must have discharged at least five gallone of ye olde pisse into ye olde pisse buckete by now.
Another bonus, I don't lose heat by opening the doors to my shop or to my house every time I need to free Willy.
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 02:52:56 -0500, Silvan

nah.... you just need enough of those enlargement pills that you can hang the end of it over the rim of the bucket while you get back to work.

shavings are fine. probably better than saw dust, and better for sure than sander dust- that stuff just cakes up into a lump. getting oxygen to it is part of the chemistry....

Bridger wrote:

I guess I'll order four bottles, and take them all. I'm sure they'll work. Hell, I've got 2,000,000 ? coming from a lottery I just won, so I can afford it. (All I had to do was give them my checking and savings account numbers to prove I'm over 18, and they're going to deposit 2,000,000 ? into my account. What a deal! I didn't even enter the lottery! So that will be $2,600,000 in real money. Woot!)

I'm wondering about the chemistry part. I stirred ye olde pisse buckete today, and I have a bucket full of sodden, yellowish, very stinky wood shavings. It doesn't seem to stink as long as I keep a fresh layer on top, but I'm thinking this might not be so friendly a thing to have around once the weather gets warmer and temperatures inside my shop climb to 120 F on a regular basis.
Maybe the heat will speed some chemical reaction and the stuff will start to compost itself in the bucket.
If nothing else, this should be a great thing for patinating copper. Put ye olde copper ware into the pisse buckete, and watch it greenify nicely, I'd imagine.
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:27:33 -0500, Silvan

yep. in hot weather you'll probably want to empty it daily. in my case, I'll drink enough water in hot weather that I'll fill the bucket by the end of the day anyway.

you don't want it to compost in the bucket. you want it to compost on the ground, or even underground.

scribbled:

I save my shavings for mixing with lawn clippings. They turn into an slimy smelly mat otherwise (the lawn clippings, that is) because of anaerobic decomposition.

Dunno. Sawdust has an amazing water absorption capacity.

And I track less sawdust into the house, thereby avoiding one source of contention, not that there is anything wrong with sawdust on the floors. My argument about sawdust making it easier to sweep floors never flew, for some reason.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

That's an amusing one... SWMBO has been tracking as much sawdust into the house as I have lately. Every place in the USA is out of ice melter stuff, and our porch/driveway has been a sheet of glaze ice for weeks now. In order to prevent broken hips, I've been dumping shavings on top of the ice. Better than nothing. It makes a big mess when tracked into the house though.
Fortunately, SWMBO is as big of a slob as I am, so this isn't a point of contention really. We have a broom somewhere, and a vacuum cleaner we used in 1999 or so.
Dirt, sawdust and dog hair are all seriously underrated as floor coverings, IMHO.
@wi.rr.com says...

Please don't. Keeter, what are you thinkin'? :-)

This is one of the things I like most about this group. So much valuable information for us newbies! Piss in a bucket and my woodworking improves. Awesome! lol What's next, drinking beer while using the table saw?
(Rich Stern) scribbled:

Tagging on here, as RS's original is gone...
French Cleats around the entire perimeter of the shop at 6' off the floor.
I'm a bit suprised that no one else has mentioned these, but maybe I'm just less definite about where I want things when I originally hang 'em. ;> Installing french cleats around the shop, ("studio"ackshully, since 12X16's too small to be a "shop."), has been one of the best things I've done for myself.
1.) Find the PERFECT! place to hang something. 2.) Cleat it 'n' hang it. 3.) Decide, (usually within a day or two), that the original     spot was a STUPID place to hang it. 4.) Lift it off cleat and move it in 10 seconds or less.
I forget where I read about 'em, but they've been the biggest bang for the buck in the entire sh-- "studio."
Michael
On 06 Feb 2004 04:38:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Rich Stern) wrote:

1) More lighting. Including lolw-voltage halogens over work areas.
2) Painted the concrete floor to keep dust down. Painted the walls flat white at the same time.
3) Cabinets with doors. Can't believe the amount of dust I was always chasing off tools and supplies.
Ongoing project that looks liek a good bet:
Getting *everything* off the floor. Wall mount as much as possible, no storage on the floor under shelves or benches. I want at least a foot of clearance above the floor wall to wall, the ease of cleaning up makes it worth the lost space.
Jeff