best things found in trash

Our landfill has a sign indicating that taking things from the landfill constitutes theft.
Seems kinda heavy-handed.
I'm not sure that this is driven by liability so much as practicality and safety. At our landfill, the earth-movers are busy filling in not too far from where people are dumping. Given the lack of common sense and common courtesy prevalent in today's society, I can see people getting themselves in the way of the earth movers while trying to pull out that "one really cool thing" they see just before it is about to get buried.

NY)
replaced.
runs",
that
and
Ours is at the transfer station, where you empty it into a big compactor trailer, then they haul it out to the actual landfill. They have other containers around for cans, bottles, etc., and a big "pit" to drop the metal stuff into, so there's no big equipment around. They claimed if they let SIL have it and then his kid got hurt on it, he *might* sue, that's why they wouldn't let him have it.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

7-foot stainless chemistry-lab countertop with integral sink in absolutly mint, dent and scratch free condition with 1 1/2" edges all around. It now lives next to my BBQ outside awaiting the day I get a wine-making station set up in my basement...that will be..mmm 2025? I wasn't a regular visitor here yet, because, believe-you-me, I would have gloated.
00
Rob
Robatoy wrote:

You can do a gloat ex post facto. It's allowed. Just not more than once in any one calendar year.
You suck.
Mike S. Wrote:

When I was in college I furnished my apartment from the dumpster behin a furniture store - sofa, bed, etc. The only thing I had to buy was th cinder blocks for the book shelves. A friend who was studying interio designed referred to it as being decorated in the style o "neo-ecletcic poverty"
-- makesawdust
Absolutely the best dumpster find was about 80 identical pieces of software (cd with manuals) still shrink wrapped and in boxes, behind the local phone company. They were cleaning out and just trashed it. Sold them on eBay for about $90 each. I was a very happy diver. Of course, this type of thing only feeds my addiction.
Dan

Too bad you weren't around when I was moving- I got rid of all sorts of stuff that wasn't even really junk, it just never got used. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus wrote:

You should try this site:
http://www.freecycle.org /
Great place if you have a group in your town or area.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

We put stuff like that out on the curb. It's usually gone within half an hour.

GLOAT:
Sister-In-Law was moving to Florida. She put an old table out at the curb but called us in case we wanted it. We took it.
L.G. Stickley
She later decided the matching china cabinet didn't go with her modern home and shipped it from Florida to us in NY. Also LG Stickley.
UnGloat:
Some dipstick lost the table inserts (table expands to 8 feet long by 4 feet wide). I need to duplicate the inserts - got the ammonia and a source of white oak, but my shop is sub-zero right now.
--
"De inimico non loquaris sed cogites."

I found a Baby Ruth Candy Bar once. At least I think it was a Baby Ruth as the package was gone.
Hmmm.
;) - -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm
"Hopefully with the demon-spawn Whitsitt out of the picture our scouts and coaches will be able to do their jobs."
::::::::::::::::
Halter Sucks!
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:53:55 -0800, DL

Was that after they had drained the pool?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:06:35 +0000, LRod

yup.
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm
"Hopefully with the demon-spawn Whitsitt out of the picture our scouts and coaches will be able to do their jobs."
Halter Sucks!
Girlfriend I had for a while......

We call it "big stuff day" here... spring and fall..
2 best days were a 4 seat spa that needed an air pump and a drill press with a "frozen motor"...
we still use the spa and I sold the DP for $100 after loosening the tension on the belt and taking the twist out of it..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing