Best solution for bandsaw dust control?

I've been trying to eliminate as much dust as possible from my shop. I've been able to tame just about everything except for my bandsaw, an enclosed base 14" Delta. I tried connecting it to a 4" DC (650 CFM) via various fitings but that seems to do very little. The dust still sprays out of it. The ridiculously small port that Delta provides seems like an afterthought.
Would a shop vac make a difference? Is there a minimum size for efficient collecting? I don't have one but probably should.
Also I see that Delta makes a dedicated dust fitting for the 14" with a 5" spout that goes for about $35. Has anyone tried this fitting?
I have also heard of people cutting a port in the lower door and attaching a separate hose. I thought about doing this but am not sure where the optimal placement of the port would be. Bottom of the door? Where the blade first contacts the wheel? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
There is a MUCH better DC adapter that Delta offers to fit the 14" bandsaw. It's also MUCH larger but a great deal more effective. I don't have the part number but it should not be hard to get from a Delta dealer.
PSobon wrote:

I hear ya'! Although I have the Jet 14" closed base...

It made a big difference for me! I stopped screwing with the 4" DC and now hook up the 2 1/2" shop vac anytime I fire up the baddddsaw. Dust still shows up, but its a *fraction* of what it used to be.
Just resawed a bunch of Jatoba - 6" high, 30" long. The ShopVac did a great job. Try the ShopVac route first - that's what my nickel says.
PSobon wrote:

Ah yes, the droopy dick modification.
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?idT
Personally I think the saw shown in the picture looks a wee bit embarrassed.
UA100

Jew or Gentile? Can't tell from the photo whether we've Bris Milah'd or not...
Drill a 2" hole in the lower door and connect your hose with an adapter.
--
Rumpty

See http://www.bill.pounds.net/woodshop/bandsawdc.html I haven't tried his solution yet, but it's on the top of my list of what will probably work best.
Art

That is my page and that solution works pretty well. I have moved my web site to the address below and the other one will soon peacefully expire in it's sleep.

I bought a dust collector adapter from Iturra. It is from Delta and it works well. I also attached the brush that sweeps the lower wheel. Between the two, I don't get the buildup on the wheels like I used to. I think the adapter is around $35 and the brush about $6. Compared to the buildup and sawdust everywhere that I was experiencing, it was well worth the money.
The adapter doesn't work out of the box with Carter Guides, but with tin snips and a little cutting, the fix is easy.
Call 1-888-722-7078 for information and a catalogue. They are supposed to get a web site up soon.
Not connected, just a happy customer.
Preston

[snip]

I saw this in a woodworking mag and it works well for me. I drilled series of holes in the lower blade cover door, right near the bottom and bolted a standard dust shroud (like from a jointer) over them. Hook a 4" hose from my dust collector and it does a pretty good job. Just sealed off the small port with duct tape.
Montyhp

I think the key is to have enough air flow as close to the lower blade guide as possible. Steve Knight made a simple yet effective solution, without having to surgically alter the BS. He glued a rare earth magnet to a block of wood and then attached the block of wood to the end of his 4" DC hose. He attaches the hose under the table as close to the lower blade guide as possible. Simple. Effective. Easy. Removable.
Layne
On 14 Apr 2004 11:26:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@cit.com (PSobon) wrote:

Absolutely! Works _very_ well indeed, and gets out of the way even on angle cuts if the old vacuum door is down or out. I find a standard shop-vac with the higher pressure to be a bit more effective, however.
Now let me tell you how a "zero clearance" insert makes all attempts to collect dust after the cut futile....
<Layne> wrote in message (PSobon) wrote:

Regarding the zero clearance insert: just cut a bigger kerf. My understanding is that "zero clearance" isn't really necessary for a BS. The whole advantage of the plastic insert is so you don't ruin your blades. I learned how dull the saw can get after it chewed on the stock metal insert....
Layne

I hear you. But you'd be surprised how "zero clearance" takes on the aura of "organic" in this forum. People brag about zero-clearance inserts on their tablesaw, and next complaint is the dust isn't collecting. Oh well. Sometimes it makes you wonder if the machines' designers might have known something after all. Love a zero insert on my scrollsaw, and it takes the same as my band.
Stock metal on my Delta, was cast white metal (zinc), and cut like butter, as I can attest.