Best screw head that won't strip

Page 5 of 5
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I see people recommending to heat to red hot then quench with water or thin oils, and it makes me cringe a little bit. There are real chances that the metallurgy of the nut or bolt is going to be significantly changed, and brittle to the point that it snaps off.
If the goal is to break a nut off, and it is replaceable (not left handed or something) go for it I guess. I myself would not want to heat up a part that was going to be used again past straw temperature, which is barely showing any dull orange at all. If breaking the nut was a reasonable option, I would just use a mechanical nut buster and be done with it if impact wrenches and granny helper bars did not do the trick.
By the way, has it been confirmed that the nut that will not come off is not a left handed nut? If there are three blades, it is most likely that at least one (the middle blade) is a left handed nut.
--
Jim in NC

On 7/31/2014 8:07 AM, Michael wrote:

At this point, I would say it is irrelevant.
What is apparent is that a screw head thread has managed to usurp the place of the infamous wRec electrical threads in the amount of bullshit contained therein. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 8/5/14, 9:00 AM, Swingman wrote:

Seriously though. With all the friction happening in those threads, best to avoid using screws anywhere around your dust collector. Might fu@%!ng 'splode!!!
--

-MIKE-

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 07:52:55 -0400, "Morgans"

lot less than when I just try to muscle them out without heat - and heating and shocking is a LOT more effective than heating alone.
In critical applications you replace the bolt. Half the time it is so badly corroded you'd be crazy to try to re-use it even in non-critical applications.
On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 06:07:24 -0700 (PDT), Michael

For me the most important thing is the quality of the steel of the screw. Buy screws where the metal has been heat treated to make them tougher. The shape of the head recess comes next in my book. Then, I put toilet bowl wax on the threads to make them drive much easier.
Someone made a point that you don't want to have to press very hard when removing a screw. I find this isn't a bigt issue unless the screw has stripped out the material it is attached to.
My wife was helping me put up a fence in our yard. I started her driving screws with Robertson (square) heads. She had trouble holding the drill steady enough to keep the bit aligned. She had no trouble with the star shaped screw heads.
Probably if I had a hammer driver at the time it wouldn't have been a problem. Now I do. It makes the OP's question less important.