Best screw head that won't strip

Top

Reply to
JAS

At this point, I would say it is irrelevant.

What is apparent is that a screw head thread has managed to usurp the place of the infamous wRec electrical threads in the amount of bullshit contained therein. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Seriously though. With all the friction happening in those threads, best to avoid using screws anywhere around your dust collector. Might fu@%!ng 'splode!!!

Reply to
-MIKE-

If the overarching concern is stripping out the screw heads maybe the answer is not to use a screw at all. Pegs, nails, rivets, wedges and glue are not known to strip... ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Well, I've been doing it for 50 years and I haven't had many snap. A lot less than when I just try to muscle them out without heat - and heating and shocking is a LOT more effective than heating alone.

In critical applications you replace the bolt. Half the time it is so badly corroded you'd be crazy to try to re-use it even in non-critical applications.

Reply to
clare

For me the most important thing is the quality of the steel of the screw. Buy screws where the metal has been heat treated to make them tougher. The shape of the head recess comes next in my book. Then, I put toilet bowl wax on the threads to make them drive much easier.

Someone made a point that you don't want to have to press very hard when removing a screw. I find this isn't a bigt issue unless the screw has stripped out the material it is attached to.

My wife was helping me put up a fence in our yard. I started her driving screws with Robertson (square) heads. She had trouble holding the drill steady enough to keep the bit aligned. She had no trouble with the star shaped screw heads.

Probably if I had a hammer driver at the time it wouldn't have been a problem. Now I do. It makes the OP's question less important.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

square works best

Reply to
arkvara

Depends. I've had the best luck with Torx, specifically, the Spax Torx with the nipple in the center. Square and Torx are still better than Philips.

Reply to
-MIKE-

So far I've managed to strip out square with some regularity but never had a problem with a torx.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Three and a half years ago, Torx were still better than square.

Reply to
krw

+1 I like square but I like Torx better
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yep, me too; except for bad drivers, torx has been flawless. With steel fasteners, both torx and Robertson are good, but in soft SS the Robertson (tapered square drive) sometimes just makes a round.

Reply to
whit3rd

Square these days seem to cam out more that I recall. Torx is a preferred head for me.

Reply to
Leon