Best Saber Saw Blade for 1.5" Maple Bench Top?

Page 3 of 3
Doug White wrote:

i'd use my tripod drill with a forstner bit.
http://glasscuttingwheels.com/tripod-glass-drill.html
i suppose you don't have a tripod drill. most glass shops have one. they'd probably drill this out for a few dollars for you.
regards, charlie http://glassartists.com/ChaniArts

I'd handsaw the end crosscuts, then handsaw (or sabersaw) a series of crosscuts between them and chisel out the waste.
scott

Treat it like a mortise; you can auger near the edges of the cutout, use a keyhole saw to connect the dots, then finish with a chisel. Power tools are OK, but sharp chisels make big chips and work fast.
Try before buying...most rental tool places carry the Bosch, which is the king of jig saws in my opinion.
Doug White wrote:

Well, I _finally_ got time to finish this job. I bought a new Bosch saw, and got some of the new "clean" blades to go with it. I used the biggest blade I had for extra rigidity.
The results were very good, but not exactly perfect. Crosscutting was a dream. Nice stright cuts, no blade wander, and a smooth, accurate, vertical cut.
Ripping was a different story. The blade bogged down a LOT. The sawdust blowing on my left hand (which was guiding the front of the saw) was HOT, and dark brown. I tried varying the speed & pressure, but never came up with a combination that cut especially well. The resulting cut was smooth & accurate, except that the blade flexed in the cut (fortunately, _into_ the material to be removed) so that the cut wasn't vertical. Despite the hot sawdust, the cut was not particularly burned. Maybe "lightly toasted" is a better description. I'm going to clean it up with a router & template, so it's no big deal.
All in all, the new saw is quite a success. Ripping 1.5" hard maple is definitely a chore, even for this puppy. I can't imagine what it would have been like trying to use my old Black & Decker saw with conventional blades. I'd probably still be at it.
Thanks for all the suggestions & info.
Doug White

Two thoughts.
That is a pretty small saw for cutting a maple bench top. So, the saw did pretty good. Even if it was difficult on the rip cuts.
And now that you got that job out of the way, you got a great little saw for a hundred other jobs! And those cuts will propbbly be much easier.
I haven't broke down and bought that saw yet. But I do make sure I have a sharp blade in the saw for anything I do.
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 20:42:28 GMT, the infamous Doug White

Were you using a RIP blade? If not, it'll cut very slowly and you'll get hot, brown sawdust on you. Oh, sometimes it smokes, too. ;)
-- Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. -- John Muir
Doug White wrote:

--------------------------------- Bosch makes a blade specifically for rip cuts.
From memory 5"-6" long, 3-4 TPI.
Problem probably solved.
Lew

That sounds about right. I was cutting out a couple rectangular indents in one edge of the bench top. I hadn't expected to have to swap blades back & forth in the middle of things, so I didn't use a rip blade. Sounds like I should pick up a couple.
Doug White
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 20:29:45 GMT, the infamous Doug White

It makes all the difference in the world.