Best router for router table

What is the best router to mount on my router table? I'm figuring that I will need a 3 hp router for efficiency, but is plung or fixed base better for the table. I am mounting in an extension wing of my TS. Thanks for any feedback/advice.

Dave

Reply to
pharmdave

Would study Milwaukee 5625 &

pat

Dave, I personally own 17 routers and the woodworking school I own has about

50 routers. I have owned or used just about every brand and manufacture. IMHO....the Porter-Cable 3 1/4hp fixed base 5 speed model with a Benchdog raiser....like everything this subject has been much debated here on the rec....you can do some research and find what best fits your needs and pocketbook....good luck Mike from American Sycamore
aswr

After years and years of using a 1611 Bosch hanging upside down I ended up with the Triton.

You do not need to invest any extra for any type router raiser. You can change bits above the table with out having to remove the router from the table, a BIG plus. It is so to speak 3+ hp. It can be use as a plunge or fixed base router with out changing bases. It is variable speed. It comes with a guide fence for free hand use. You can coarse or fine tune adjust height and the motor will not fall out of the base. It is damn ugly but works great.

Reply to
Leon

If I had to do it all over again, I'd pick the Milwaukee 5625...above the table access to adjustment, tons of power, excellent bearings.

The PC 5-speed production router (I have 2) has been reliable and faithful...but PC has been asleep at the wheel, IMHO.

For the 'one-does-it-all plunger...*ducking* The 2000 watt Festool. When idling, the thing feels like a Swiss watch..so incredibly smooth... until you lean into it...damned thing doesn't flinch. Never have experienced that much, clean power. It almost feels like an upside-down shaper. The double bearings and superb electronics makes this my next router. If I have a beef, it's the fact that the lowest speed is already

12,000 RPM, which is a bit fast for a 1 1/2 full bullnose bit clawing at 3 layers of 1/2" Wilsonart Gibraltar. The slow speed and high torque of the Hitachi M 12V at 8000 rpm is more my choice. Right now I'm needing a whole lot of stuff, so that Festool purchase is on the back burner... but not for long. I just dropped $489.00 US plus shipping on 4 American Made clamps.... 4 (four). I can only build so many counter tops at the time... slooooowly easing into THE BIG purchase when I will start looking for about 500 BFT of clear cherry...... I have some projects in mind.... they have been on hold too long. I still need: A Planer. 3 blades, no bigger than 13" Induction motor. Dunno what yet. It's all about the blades anyway, right? (That Williams & Hussey has my eye).... all in due time.... A Jointer.. probably just a 6" with a 6' bed...induction motor.. like Delta. it's all about the blades anyway, right? An accurate table saw.. I like the look and feel of a Powermatic 66. ( I just bought a Ridgid portable for my solid surface strips) DC system..new and improved...

That's it!

*S*

Rob

Reply to