best price on starrett 36" straightedge

anyone find a good price recently on the 36" non beveled edge?

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

it can be hard to find good prices on such items. ebay can be good but I just checked

you really need a starrett? made in the us
your doing woodworking any of these is far more then enough. I used a starrett when I made straightedges. but it is a bit overkill. Knight-Toolworks
handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

There's an outfit called J & L: Industrial that sells them...I paid $105 for mine a few months ago. But you HAVE to wait for one of their "Buy 5 items, get 25% off" sale. By the straightedge and little items and you're on your way. Or sometimes they put all precision measuring instruments on sale for 25% off.

Without that sale, they're expensive.

Their site is

on their e-mailing list and they'll send you an announcement on the sale. Happens about every three or four weeks.

For the record, it's a tool I wouldn't be without. It's only defect is that it isn't five feet long... :-)

Reply to
wood_newbie

Reply to
Mike Berger

I did not say cheap. I just said not starrett. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

thanks.. I had heard about that site.. so I'll keep my eyes open.

I have the Lee Valley alum>

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

How much of a difference does it actually make? Assuming you don't bang it around, will the aluminum one go out of whack with just regular use?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Mine isn't either... :)

dave

Reply to
David

yeah... I know.. I've contemplated this for too long.

The 1st SL I got from LV had noticeable twist. They sent a 2nd. It's as true as my jointer bed ;-) (a Jet 6").

The problem I see is most everyth>nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

Steve is correct. Check out the Mititoyo brand as well. Also Lufkin. Even a General will be within .005 ... probably no more than a couple thou out.

There are also techniques for verifying & correcting straightness by either direct measurement or by comparing them to two other reference edges.

It's how the old-timers made their own straight edges and flats.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday
    • C
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

...until the first time you drop it.

Reply to
– Colonel –

that is one nice thing about the LV.. it's hollowed out slightly.. makes a nice grip.. whereas the Starret appears to be a solid chunk. The piont about dropping is well taken..

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

If 0.005 is all you want, just buy some precision ground flat stock of a thickness and width sufficient to give you the warm fuzzies. You can even get Starrett's version of it. :)

There is even a pre-hardened version...

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

| sale is on now... | | should I get beveled or not? | | I need a cheap telescoping guage set.. but what other inexpensive 3 | items would be good "filler"

How about a pair of magnetic bases to hold a featherboard?

Morris Dovey

sale is on now...

should I get beveled or not?

I need a cheap telescoping guage set.. but what other inexpensive 3 items would be good "filler"

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

I could use a 12" 4R or similar rule.. but the options are staggering.. on their website..

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

I got the Starrett 6" hook rule...it lives in my hands.

Reply to
wood_newbie

Alright.. I got the Starrett 36" nonbevel nongraduated edge. Nice piece of steel. I need to go lay if across the jointer bed and see if it's straight ;-)

In defense of the Lee Valley 38" aluminum flavor.. 1st I got it for $35 at a WW show.. so no shipping. The Starret was $106 + shipping; call it $10 since most of the weight was the Starret (used the 25% off deal at JLindustrial).

So.. $35 vs $116 (though I see the LV is now about $40).

The Starret is a 7/32" wide, the LV 7/16". 7/32" is tough to sit upright w/o support. I might end up fitting up some wooden "training wheels" to prevent it from tipping over and tumbling off whatever I'm leveling. If I leave the "outriggers" a tad shy of the reference edge, they won't effect the measurement, but they will be in the way.

The Starret is steel, LV aluminum (though LV has a steel 24" one available, but I really wanted 36" +).

The Starret is a "block" of steel, somewhat hard to grap ahold of; the LV is hollowed out in the center; easier to grab and hang onto.

The Starret is solid; the LV has a hole to hang it up.

If my 1st go-around w/ the LV would have been good (my 1st one had detectable twist in it), I probably would have never questioned it's accuracy.

The LV has a lot more "useability features", the Starret, hopefully.. is more accurate and a once in a LT purchase.

For general use, where the risk of damaging is inherent, and accuracy is so-so, the LV would be my choice. Since I now have the Starret, I'll have to make sure I don't use it for any of those cases ;-)

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout