Best precision mitre gauge?

Page 1 of 2
Newbie question:
How important is one of these "precision" mitre gauges compared to what comes with the saw, and which would you recommend?
Rockler has a nice looking one (http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/basket/editdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID 883&Li ne_ID610447&ECompany_ID=1&historycount=-1&rso=0),
and so does Jet (http://www.woodworkersshop.com/JET_Mitre_Gauge.htm ).
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

I think the accumiter sucks. its way too heavy and bulky and can have a fair amount of slop in it. the only good part was the clamp. there are better tools out there now.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Which one do you use, Steve? Just curious.

well I struggled with the accumiter for awhile. but then I got the makita SCMS and do all the miter cuts on it. I did a trade for a incra one as I was getting a bit of flex in my cuts on the SCMS. but once I got a forrest blade the cuts were perfect and now it just hangs there (G) but I am not the one to ask as I only used it 10 times.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Well Steve, I have the Accumiter and love it. It IS rather heavy but there is always some kind of drawback. I actually grab my Delta when making a rough cut. The Acu-miter has a aluminum head so I don't know how they can remove a lot of weight there. Almost every review I have read says the same thing: "It is a little too heavy". But they all love it. What do you prefer?

I just found it did not go back to 90 very accurately. Mine was about 10 years old and they may have improved it. but the extension arm does not touch the wood so it adds no support.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Beyond the first 24", it does not contact the wood. I've not found that a problem because I'm holding it tightly at the other end. It has never racked on me. Ed

but all it is useful for is a measurement gage. it adds a lot of weight for that job.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Sammy wrote:

It appears we're not allowed to look in your shopping cart.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Incra miter gauges are often considered one of the best www.incra.com
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Woodworking Techniques & Projects - Kreg Right Angle Clamp - Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw - Dowelmax Doweling System - Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill ------------------------------------------------------------
Good Lord, that is a serious miter gauge!

Equally important. However the precision miter gauges make the ones that come with the saw look like a toy when comparing performance and function.
I personally use the left and right side Dubby miter sleds.
Here is one on my "to buy" list:
http://www.osbornemfg.com/close-up.html
Dave.
Sammy wrote:

I have one, in brand-new condition and I'll sell it to you for a reasonable discount, say $125+shipping. Seriously. It's not bad, but it isn't what I expected.
Mike

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:42:04 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"

as a failed delivery. I'm interested in the miter gauge, if you still have it.
Remove the nospam from my email address to reply.
I appreciate the offer... but that looks like a US dollar figure. By the time I bring it up to Canada with shipping etc... I would not be too far behind a new one purchased locally. If I am wrong, and it is in Canadian funds, I'll take it if jmac didn't beat me to it! ;-)
Dave.
Mike in Mystic wrote:

*In a deep voice* Thank you. Thank you very much.
--------------2ABAF48D2879F9BDFCAE5B0F Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Check Fine Woodworking's recent review of aftermarket gauges. Incra rated either above average or average, but was the only gauge that can do consistent cuts at odd angles. Author seemed to think the Woodhaven Deluxe was top rated.
Dave wrote:

--------------2ABAF48D2879F9BDFCAE5B0F Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------2ABAF48D2879F9BDFCAE5B0F--
Sammy wrote:

discover that you miter cut was "off" by a hair...
I have an Incra 2000 and honestly it is accurate as the devil BUT I do not like it...went out and bought the 1000 and not only was it cheaper but it is much easier to use...
HOWEVER for my common miter cuts (45 and 22 1/2 degree miters) I use home made sleds that are dead on .. they took some time to "zero" in but once that task was accomplished (years ago) I have been setup to cut a percent 45 or 22 1/2 miter in the time it takes to throw the sled on the saw ...
Since 95 percent of my miters are either 45 or 22 1/2 degrees I really do not use the Incras much at all... the 2000 was a waste of my money, the 1000 was a much better buy but I still do not use it enough to justify the price .. but like anything else I have it when I need it...
Just my opinion..
Bob Griffiths