Best Position for a Router Table Pin

Hi,
When using a starting pin on a router table, where is the best place to position the pin? Do you place it to the left of the bit, to the right of the bit, in front of the bit, or does it matter?
If there's no fence on the table, you can put the pin just about anywhere around the bit. Just remember which way the bit is rotating! Tom
Webster Joe wrote:

Swingman's right
Dave
"Webster Joe" wrote in message

Normally, for non 'climb cuts' on the router table, place the starter pin to the right of the bit so that the workpiece contacts the pin first as it moves from right to left.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05
Webster Joe wrote:

Agreed. I did a little research on climb cutting and it doesn't sound like something a novice like me wants to explore right now. Thanks for the heads up.
I think the key to climb cutting is to know what the risks are and think of how to work safely. I climb cut about an inch on end grain them route the traditional way for the rest of the board.

When used correctly it can eliminate tearout on cross grain cutting. It is a useful technique.