Best Pencil Brands/Sources

Page 2 of 3
Steve Turner wrote:

I suspect that the name came about because Turquoise is the brand name of drafting pencils made by Eagle Pencil Company that became Berol in 1969 and was later taken over by Sanford. Turquoise brand pencils and leads are still in production, however Sanford does not appear to be selling a sharpener any longer. The pencils have always been painted a distinctive turquoise color.

Yep. Very common in college bookstores back in the 70-80s. Here's a whold history on old drafting pencils and holders:
http://www.leadholder.com/index-wood.html
nb
"Leon" wrote:

Of course, made by K&E.
Was in the high cotton when I first got mine.
Finally gave it to GoodWill a few years ago.
The replacement sandpaper cones were all dried out.
Lew

I had my K&E drafting machine rebuilt by a 'just' retired K&E mechanic. New linear bearings, calibrated stops, had the tubular rails straightened to with nuttin. He charged me $ 300.00, I gave him $ 400.00. He had done so many things I didn't ask/expect.... like new screws (the visible ones), a new, updated protractor knob... And replaced a balancing spring (which had a notch in it).. now the thing floats on air..weightless with a brake that doesn't move the scales.... period. Like jewelry.
Memories. ( I still have a very old K&E horse-hair brush which draftsmen used to clean eraser dust off their drawings.)
"Robatoy" wrote: ------------------------------------------------ I had my K&E drafting machine rebuilt by a 'just' retired K&E mechanic. New linear bearings, calibrated stops, had the tubular rails straightened to with nuttin. He charged me $ 300.00, I gave him $ 400.00. He had done so many things I didn't ask/expect.... like new screws (the visible ones), a new, updated protractor knob... And replaced a balancing spring (which had a notch in it).. now the thing floats on air..weightless with a brake that doesn't move the scales.... period. Like jewelry. ------------------------------------------------------ Spent more than a few hours pushing one of those rascals around a board.
Designed a lot of machinery with one including steel mill and foundry equipment automation, machine tools, etc.
Strictly the heavey duty stuff.
----------------------------------------------------- Memories. ( I still have a very old K&E horse-hair brush which draftsmen used to clean eraser dust off their drawings.) -------------------------------------------------------
That makes two of us, along with my 30-60, 45 triangles and an eraser shield or two.
Lew .

Yes, but more importantly, you're basically off topic. I see nothing about drafting mentioned in the OP. I think he just wants a good pencil that doesn't turn to crap after 3 letters. He didn't mention if he preferred wooden or mechanical pencils, but to stay in the woodworking theme, I gonna drag up the greatest wood pencil ever made. The Dixon Ticonderoga No 2 pencil. They still make 'em. Work great, look great, smell great (real cedar). They even chew great, if you're into that sort of thing. ;)
http://www.dixonticonderoga.com /
nb
"notbob" wrote:

Which is why a high quality drafting pencil was suggested.

You have obviously never used the business end of a high quality pencil.
The Dixon Ticonderoga No 2 is fine for Johnny to do his homework, but that's about it.
Lew

Obvious to who? My first drafting pencil WAS a high quality wooden pencil, sharpened once in one special sharpener to cut the wood back and again in another sharpener to create the point.

This Johnny did one helluva lot of homework with one. Worked damn good, as I recall. Still had a couple next to my AutoCad workstation some 40 yrs later. Why? It's a great pencil. In fact, it's a work of art. A '48 Cadillac is not the most cutting edge of autos, but it's still a great car. Class has its place, any time.
Geez! ....you'd think a person who allegedly strives to create quality pieces of woodwork would understand. Apparently not.
nb
notbob wrote:

They used to make those in Versailles Missouri (pronounced ver-SALES), near the Lake Of The Ozarks, not far from where my father now makes his residence. I found a surprisingly verbose history of the company here:
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Dixon-Ticonderoga-Company-Company-History.html

I second that these are great pencils. I go through at least 1/2 gross of them a year and I'm picky about the pencils I use. I continually break the leads in mechanical pencils from pushing down too hard. The Dixon Ticonderoga pencils write nicely smooth.
Bill

Yeah. The lead is specially formulated to be smoother writing.
To tell ya the truth, when I found out they still made 'em, I was amazed. I just like the look and feel of 'em. That lush yellow lacquer, that brutally green metallic, the cedar scent when you just sharpen 'em. Just smelling one brings back a flood of childhood memeories. It's a sensual pencil! ;)
I used to have access to any pencil I wanted. Wood, mechanical, drafting, Japanese, German, gold Crosses, etc. I still have dozens of styles and types, from freebie promo carpenter pencils to machine knurled lead holders. But, my favorite pencils of all time are a couple no-longer-made cheapo Scriptos. They are all plastic, cost $.98, use an 0.7 lead, have a twist-up eraser, and have a spring loaded tip to reduce lead breakage. I have 2-3 left and guard 'em with my life. The best pencil in the World is the one that suits your needs.
nb

I like to write with pencils more than anyone I know, but you are in a different league than I am. When my girlfriend found out that I liked Ticonderoga pencils, she sent me a gross of them. Now we're married and I get at least a half-gross of them for Christmas every year. So I've basically got a "life time supply" of Ticonderoga pencils! ;) Basically, I'm just glad a "good pencil" is available. When I have a captive listener, I can pontificate, with awe, on what a powerful tool a pencil is....
Bill

A must have for pencil aficionados: The Pencil: A History of Design and Circumstance by Henry Petroski
"Bill" wrote:

Try some "H" grade, STAEDTLER, Mars, Lumograph pencils some time.
Gives a whole new meaning to lead pencils.
Lew

I know that Staedtler is the Volkwagon of drafting, my last drafting set being an all Staedtler kit. Not exactly top of the line, but good quality, no doubt. I find the H lumograph to be a cold, hard, pencil. No character. I used it only for layout. I'd like to try a Noris 2B with erasure. Looks like a nice pencil.
nb
RE: Subject
For an electric sharpener, hard to beat:
X-Acto 1744 Heavy-duty electric pencil sharpener, black, 1 Unit
(On eBay)
Lew
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 16:17:30 -0700 (PDT), Hoosierpopi

This is the wreck and no one has pointed him at lee valley?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p2538&cat=1,42936,43509&ap=1
-Kevin
Kevin wrote:

Speaking of Lee Valley, in the nearby discussion about pencil sharpeners I recalled (after talking last night to Mike about vintage Bostons) that Lee Valley offers this sharpener:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p2281&cat=1,42936
Anybody ever used it, and if so, do you know how it compares to a vintage Boston?
Steve Turner wrote:

Does it matter? It's Lee Valley, which means either...
a) it's the best fricken pencil sharpener on the planet or 2) if it's not, they'll bend over backwards to help you return it and send you a case of pre-sharpened never-ending-super-H-leaded pencils that convert marking from Imperial to metric, as you draw.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Damn, I guess I'd better get one then! :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.