Best Pencil Brands/Sources

Page 1 of 3
OK, I should have realized that the Back To School deals on Pencils were unlikely to provide the superior marking and writing and sharpening I didn't realize were so important to me until I found myself with a few dozen of these "specials" so damn difficult to sharpen, use w/o breaking the point, etc etc etc
I am using Office Sharpeners - and they do make a longer, finer point than may be essential to the task - but I had a couple and they are motorized and relatively quick.
But they produce a tip that - with these cheap pencils, breaks off too early, too often and with too little pressure.
If any of you have experienced similar issues and resolved them with a particular brand, I would appreciate hearing of , as well as of a source for, same.
OK, I should have realized that the Back To School deals on Pencils were unlikely to provide the superior marking and writing and sharpening I didn't realize were so important to me until I found myself with a few dozen of these "specials" so damn difficult to sharpen, use w/o breaking the point, etc etc etc
I am using Office Sharpeners - and they do make a longer, finer point than may be essential to the task - but I had a couple and they are motorized and relatively quick.
But they produce a tip that - with these cheap pencils, breaks off too early, too often and with too little pressure.
If any of you have experienced similar issues and resolved them with a particular brand, I would appreciate hearing of , as well as of a source for, same.

I buy The Mirados by the 100 pack.
But.... for myself, when hiding from the world, I use these....just love them; http://pencillovers.com/display_collection?id=855&brandid=18
Robatoy wrote:

As do I. I love my drafting pencils and lead-holders, but for general-purpose use the Papermate Mirado Classic is a good choice, and they sharpen cleanly and easily.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
"Hoosierpopi" wrote:

First thing you learn in drafting class is how to put a point on a drafting pencil using a sanding pad.
(Am I dating myself or what?)
Find a drafting supply house (Yes they still exist) and buy a couple of boxes of Staedler<S/P> drafting pencils, I like 2H for layout, H for writing.
They are imported from Germany.
Rather than use sandpaper, an 8" mill bastard file works well to put a point on a pencil, especially the flat carpenter's pencils.
A good small Buck pocket knife trims back the pencil wood exposing the lead.
As an alternate, a Boston electric pencil sharpener also works quite well.
BTDT.
Have fun.
Lew
RE: Subject:
This is what you want.
STAEDTLER Mars Lumograph
Lew

Do you remember the mechanical pencil sharpener that you would spin the pencil around in a circle. It had a small cone shaped sanding paper cylinder in it to sharpen the lead.
Leon wrote:

Mine's about 30 years old and I still use it nearly every day. Perfectly lovely device. It looks like this:
http://www.mybinding.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/45958/Dahle-LEAD-POINTERS-Professional-Lead-Pointer-301?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=shopzilla

http://www.mybinding.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/45958/Dahle-LEAD-POINTERS-Professional-Lead-Pointer-301?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=shopzilla
I have had mind for about 40 years, it is cast iron and weigh 2 or 3 pounds. Shorter and about 3 inches wide.

Actually this is mine,
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/k-e-mechanical-pencil-sharpener-58-0515-in
Leon wrote:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/k-e-mechanical-pencil-sharpener-58-0515-in

I just paid 20 bucks for a sharpener with two rotating barrel blades, like this...
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1432/medium/insides.JPG
...instead of a single, thinking it would give me an even point, instead of the wood being higher on one side. But alas, no, it's still uneven.
What's the best sharpener for perfectly even points?
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Can't go wrong with an old Boston Champion, KS, or Ranger 55 (unless the sharpening teeth are worn, which happened to me on a Ranger 55 I picked up on eBay). I don't think they make 'em any more (not like they used to anyway), but you should be able to get one in like-new condition off eBay for around $10.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

That KS looks identical to what I bought.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

"Looks" identical or "is" identical? New or used? I have two vintage KS sharpeners and one vintage Champion that I got off eBay, and they all cut like butta and make perfect points.
Steve Turner wrote:

New. I'll check ebay. I'm just afraid of getting dull blades.
I see them all the time in thrift stores, but they seem to have been used to sharpen bass drum spurs. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Yeah, my understanding is that the new ones can't hold a candle to the vintage Bostons. You're right to be concerned about the possibility of dull cutters on the old models, but if you get a good one it will be worth it. NOS replacement cutters are also not impossible to find.

I would say the one I posted above. You put the "mechanical" pencil in the tube on top and the lead contacts a cone shaped cylinder of sand paper. That cone moves around inside as you spin the top with your pencil. The sand paper cone is self adjusting. The point can come out as sharp as a needle and pefectly centered.
Leon wrote:

There's no perfect pencil sharpener. If all you want is "some kind of point" then get a Boston from Staples or wherever, known to generations of schoolchildren everywhere. When they're new and sharp they do a pretty good job, when they've been hanging on a wall in a school for fifty years, well, that they work at all is a tribute to their durability.
Dahle and Staedtler have crank models that allow the bluntness of the point to be adjusted--they don't allow you to adjust the _taper_ mind you, just whether you get a needle point or a slightly flattened one. The Staedtler doesn't seem to be available in the US and the Dahles aren't what they used to be--if you go with one of those get it somewhere where you can check it out in the store before you take it home.
Holbein has a hand-held "TGAAL" model that allows the taper to be set to one of several different levels, but try to find one in the US.
The KUM Long Point sharpeners are also hand-held, but sharpen in two stages, they cut the wood back in one, then sharpen in the second.
Note that none of these do well if the lead is off-center.
But your best bet is probably to go with a separate lead holder and 2mm leads and one of the pointers designed for use with such in professional drafting--the Swiss Geddess is probably the best of those still being made but the cheap Alvin/Staedtler/Helix/whoever (everybody seems to carry the same model with different color plastic and different labels) should get you started. Centering the lead is not an issue and you use all of it without ever having to deal with a stub.
Leon wrote:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/k-e-mechanical-pencil-sharpener-58-0515-in
Nice. Mine is actually a "Berol Turquoise 14":
http://www.leadholder.com/point-turq.html
I don't know why they call it "Turquoise", because it came in different colors; mine's orange. I don't guess Berol exists any more, but the Dahle look pretty much identical (the Dahle is made in Germany; my Berol says "Made in the USA" on the bottom) and $8.95 sounds like a pretty good price because these things work great and are absolutely maintenance free (other then emptying the graphite dust once every 5 years).
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
"Steve Turner" wrote:

"Turquoise" was a brand of drafting lead, the lead was supplied in a turquoise colored plastic container.
Can't remember the name of the manufacturer.
Lew