Best Off the Shelf Cabinets?

Page 2 of 2
I call the *top* the gable (like on a house) to differentiate it from the floor of the cabinet. {:-)
Max (but not in public)

Careful the word police will get you, here.
The last one I ran into was the word "Camp". Some neighbours continuously refered to their "camp". After about a year they told us that people 'round here call it a "cottage". APparently in some parts people call a small building in the woods a "camp"
I call the *top* the gable (like on a house) to differentiate it from the floor of the cabinet. {:-)
Max (but not in public)
My sister (in Michigan) does. She tells me quite often that, "Herb is up at the 'camp'. " LOL
Max

First off custom may be an inferior product compared to an off the shelf product from a big box store. All things being equal, Quality custom will always be more expensive to buy than off the shelf. Almost with out exception off the shelf items are going to have the majority of their quality in the face frames, doors and drawer "fronts". Behind what you see it is anybodies guess as to what matrerial and what quality it will be.
So basically you probably need to decide if you want to pay for a quality custom job or take a gamble with what you end up off the shelf. At least with custom you can specify the materials and hopefully get a good pro to do the work.
Having said all that I build lots and lots of cabinets. I am currently having a home built and it is going to have the "off the shelf cabinets" but not by choice. If the builder would let me build and install my own cabinets I would be better off.
@swbell.dotnet says...

Tell him to use the cheapest Ikeas and to charge you the Ikea price and not a penny more and then you rip then out and do whatever you like and the Ikeas will do fine for shop or garage or whatever cabinets.

That's an odd one. Maybe he's figuring that you'd delay him, delaying getting the CO and delaying him getting his final payment.
Ask him if he'll install the cabinets with the minimum number of screws to 'tack' them in place, and not screw the countertop down. After the CO, pull that stuff and donate it to a local Habitat for Humanity Restore. They'll come and pick it up and you can take the deduction for the full cost of the cabinets (have the contractor give you the invoice).

That's an odd one. Maybe he's figuring that you'd delay him, delaying getting the CO and delaying him getting his final payment.
The forms for the foundation were put up Tuesday before last, Oct 19 and Friday, Oct 29 the framing was ready for the roof decking. I think I would hold everything up if they waited on me to build my own cabinets. Closing is tentatively set for Dec 21.
Ask him if he'll install the cabinets with the minimum number of screws to 'tack' them in place, and not screw the countertop down. After the CO, pull that stuff and donate it to a local Habitat for Humanity Restore. They'll come and pick it up and you can take the deduction for the full cost of the cabinets (have the contractor give you the invoice).
This home is not a custom home and has to conform to certain standards. Because I am paying for the cabinets I do want to get some use out of them before I replace them one day in the future. I have no problem with removing kitchen cabinets, have done that on several occasions, I believe it would be in my best interest for the cabinets to be installed with the intention of not being replaced. Not sure how granite would be screwed down though. ;~)
Having said that I did talk with a custom builder that gave me an allowance for me to build and install my own cabinets. The allowance was $2200. In my case that was not worth the effort to drop what I am doing and build cabinets to save $2200.
GEEEESHHHHH! I was quoted $2100 just for cheap laminate counter tops at Lowes for my kitchen.
The builders have many ways of ripping you off that it's now worth it to custom make anything. This way they don't have to remember anything and build it the way, "they have never seen", anyway.
When you want to get involved with some kitchen installation they will make sure you have to finish the landscaping yourself because it was your sawdust in the kitchen and not their fault...LOL
[...]

Hard to believe that Swing would do you that way.
Dave in Houston

Robert

Zinggggggggggggggggggg

LOL... We talked about pricing and what his costs would be, I think he would be in the hole if he built a house the way he does for the price I am getting.

Just go to home depot or lowes. They have various grades, good retun and warrenty policies, you can touch and feel what you are gona buy and they have fair prices since they do such huge volume.

I have installed countertops on many DIY projects for people who took the time to put it all together with some thought. I have seen IKEA and Home Despot off-the-shelf kitchens that were a lot better than some shlock I had to put MY nice work onto made by 'custom professional' impostors. Most of the guys here will agree that it is all about the installation.
I went through three installers (including their best) before the legal BS started for mine. A few more years of legal BS and I may be able to retrim them, for the forth time.
Just remember, if it is home owners helping home owners, run as fast as you can go, in the opposite direction.