Best Off the Shelf Cabinets?

Page 1 of 2
What web sites offer medium high quality cabinets and low prices? I have a few applications where I want to compare custom against making due with something off the shelf.
For material I want a strong plywood with a high quality real wood veneer. No fiberboard!!!!

You ask odd questions, or at least phrase them oddly. No fiberboard - got it. What about particle board? 'Strong' plywood? Is that a grade? Medium high quality and low prices. All of that is subjective and provides no helpful information.
Check out cabparts.com or some such and roll you own and see if that works for you.
I am not a builder, so I don't know the precise language to use to identify different building materials and construction techniques.
For me particle board and fiberboard are both equally low quality products, and I want to avoid both. I asked my cabinet maker, and he said that he is using a birch plywood that is A grade on top and C grade on bottom (but he thought it was actually a B grade). That is the same quality of construction I would want to buy in an off the shelf product, even if it cost more than fiberboard or particle board. Does that help you identify the type of construction I want?
I am looking for off the shelf, completed cabinets, made of birch or equal quality plywood, with real wood veneers. Does any web site sell those?

"RicodJour" < snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@v20g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...
W wrote:

W, This was very confusing to read since you top-posted. Good luck with your cabinets.
B.

The reason I top posted was that my news application has a bug and on some posts it doesn't quote the text I am responding to. It would be even more confusing to have my response run on together with the original text, undifferentiated.
The message was very small in any case, so really it was not that hard to read both parts.

On 10/29/2010 2:45 PM, W wrote:

How do you know how much time I or anyone else spent trying to decipher your message?

I went back to the message you objected to and turned on a stopwatch. I read every word carefully, slowly, deliberately, and it took me 24 seconds. Assuming someone was confused by the arrangement, I guess that might be a minute. So to answer the question: I know because I tested it objectively.
But the other point is that if a message confronts you that you don't like - for any reason including layout - you also have an option to just ignore it. I do normally bottom post, and the only times I top post are when the newsreader is not helping to arrange quoted text.

Bill was a top poster when he first came.
Pressure from the supertrolls caused him to change his style.
The posting style trolls are so paranoid people will not be like them they spend more time on insulting than trying to decipher the posts. Some use special browsers that attempt to assist them to decipher multiple indented posts and attempt to associate the names with their text using multiple colours and other techniques.
Crazy, huh? Sure is, when email styles and hard copy styles have established formats since the beginning of time.
<reference text below>
I went back to the message you objected to and turned on a stopwatch. I read every word carefully, slowly, deliberately, and it took me 24 seconds. Assuming someone was confused by the arrangement, I guess that might be a minute. So to answer the question: I know because I tested it objectively.
But the other point is that if a message confronts you that you don't like - for any reason including layout - you also have an option to just ignore it. I do normally bottom post, and the only times I top post are when the newsreader is not helping to arrange quoted text.

Why don't you just have "your cabinetmaker" manufacture the cabs? He's obviously invested some time and interest in your project. Even if he's 25% -50% higher it seems as though you would be a lot better off. I recently had a client tell me that my prices were higher than Ikea, and in my nicest, most concerned voice I told her that you get what you pay for and that I use "green" products as much as I can with low VOC finishes. That sold the kitchen right then and there.
RP

I did buy cabinets from the cabinet maker. It was he who suggested that for the simpler cabinets - such as those in a bathroom - that I might be better with off the shelf. But he didn't know of any website that sold frames that were a higher quality birch plywood construction.
So I'm investigating using a mixture of custom and off the shelf.

How about one of us trots over to your place and whip some up for you? Sheesh.
You've been given a number of approaches and you're not having any of it. Here's the short of it: you want custom, but you want it cheaper and in stock. Yeah, that should be no problem.
Sorry, there is no free lunch today. You'll either have to pony up some more money, do some work yourself, or settle for a stock cabinet that's available in YOUR area. How much do you think it costs to ship an assembled cabinet? That's why I replied the first time with that cabparts.com link. They'll make any damn thing you want, prefinish it, drill holes for hardware, and ship it to you in a flat box for a reasonable cost, and all you have to do is assemble the thing. You'll have exactly nothing to do in the way of layout or measuring.
If you're not up to that, settle, pony up or waste some other peoples' time by calling some cabinet shops and see if they're running the free lunch special.

Hold on. I asked for a vendor that makes high quality off the shelf cabinets. I never said once I wouldn't pay for quality. My criteria was to find someone who made the cabinets from higher quality components like birch plywood AC grade, rather than MDF or fiberboard. Of course quality costs more. I was willing to pay more for higher quality. What part of my post made you think otherwise?
I appreciate the reference to cabparts.com. That did look like fiberboard though. Their catalog was confusing for me.
Ikea has a modular system for cabinets, but it looks like most of their product is MDF / fiberboard. That's not what I want. I was hoping to find someone who has a similar modularization system that uses (and charges for) higher quality construction. Maybe that vendor doesn't exist, or at least doesn't expose their product to the end user the way Ikea does.

Did you see this:
"Produced from currently available sheet goods to reduce inventory and waste. Specify your requirements, Melamines, MDFs, Plywoods, Green cores, etc."
and this:
"Call us today! 970.241.7682"
Max
wrote

I downloaded their catalog and will investigate further.
I was hoping to buy something pre-assembled and pay something extra for shipping.

Merillat has cabinets that have 1/2" baltic birch carcasses, but you have to special order them. Their "off the shelf" are 3/8" termite vomit board or whatever. I'm in the Northeast, so I don't know if they are available where you are. Why doesn't your cabinetmaker want to make your other cabs? I'll make cabs wherever they go... I've made broom cabs fer cryin out loud. I'll make a cab for whatever the client wants. Money talks, BS walks...
RP
Shouldn't that have been "any of them" since you were referring to "multiple approaches"?
[...]

started.
Ohhh?
We call the ends of a cabinet "gables".

I have no problem with *other" people calling the sides of a cabinet the "gables".
Max
I think that was the point. Some want to be anal about everybody in the whole world using their definition...LOL