Best Miter Gauge?

Page 2 of 3

For me, adjust and store away more quickly.
Leon wrote:

Is that it?
If so, quicker set up makes sense for a production/custom operation.
Not sure about an amateur like me.
Lew

It is one of a few luxury items for me. These days I charge for most of what I build.

Osborne EB3 is supposed to be a new design and is manufactured by General International in Canada. Check out this review http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/osbrneb3.html . I think that a lot of criticism is directed at the old EB2 and not the EB3 which came out less than a year ago. For a close-up of the new model check out this site http://www.osbornemfg.com/close-up.htm . I have read several reviews of the new EB3 and I haven't seen any negative reviews. I am not a production type of woodworker, just a person who is an intermediate type of hobby person, that occasionally hides his mistakes with wood filler.

Was a new design 2 years ago. Apparently General has recently purchase the company or the jig from Mr. Osbourne.

I bought an EB3 in the spring of 2005. The Delta badged Osbourne still has the same problem that I had 2 years ago.
For a close-up of the new model check

Then the Osbourne may be just right for you. I have been doing this for almost 30 years in a serious way and don't have much patience for tools that don't work the way that they should. As I have pointed out in other posts, I ended up with a Kreg and even then it is second choice to my Dubby Miter Sleds. A favorable review is not going to make the EB3 any better. Did any of the reviews address the wiggle at the end of the fence at the 45 degree setting? If not, check your EB3 out in both 45 degree settings and then ask yourself, what did the review, or most any review for that matter, leave out? Reviews are good for providing information that you are specifically looking for if it is covered in the review but unfortunately most reviews miss a lot of important points.
Another example of reviews not covering all the angles are those on the Festool Domino. Most all reviews are really keen on this tool except for the price. Charleyb has posted links to His review of the tool and posts regarding the tool and he points out the problem of the tool only having metric adjustments. This is more of a problem in the US. Can you work around it? Yes you can. Is that an important point to consider? For some, yes.
The EB3 is a cool miter gauge with lots of features. It's ability to lock down securely at "both" 45 degrees settings will be a problem for many.
Enjoy your hobby.

The EB-3 is older than that and what I have is an EB-3 bought from Mr. Osborne's company so your thoughts are wrong. If you have read Leon and my thoughts you have read negative things about it, we are not some fancy WW magazine though, just people who have used it and found short comings. We have shared the experiences with the miter gauge so people can make an informed decision. YMMV depending upon how much marketing you swallow.
Mark

Cutting angles.
Mark
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 01:40:10 GMT, "Leon"

Pray tell. May not be an issue for some. I'd like to know *before* I buy.

Buy from a local dealer so that you can set the miter gauge up on a saw. Set the Osborne miter gauge up with the telescoping adjustment rod in the most extended position at the 45 degree mark. Grab the far/leading end of the fence and wiggle it back and forth. The amount of deviation is usually + or - 2 to 3 degrees or some where between 1/4" and 1/2". While wiggling the fence back and forth notice that the telescoping adjustment shaft bows back and forth also.
The problem is that the telescoping shaft is extended too far in the far 45 degree setting and machine tolerances are way too lean to prevent movement.

Most of those articles are from about 10 years ago and "not on" the EB3. I don't know about the earlier models, only that the EB3 has the design flaw. I bought an EB3 a couple of years ago and ended up returning it per Mr. Osborn's suggestion. He suggested that I return it for one that was not defective. Unfortunately the entire stock of my local dealer had the same problem. 2 years later at the WW show, the miter gauge with a Delta badge demonstrated the same problem and the local wood working show. When confronted, the Delta guys blamed loading the miter gauge on and off the truck.

When I bought the Kreg, you could get a 36" bar for it. I did.
Patriarch
I don't think the 1000se goes out 36". I think max is around 30 inches. The 3000se goes way past 36" to around 45+ inches.
Thom

Do you mean the 4 foot accessory extrusion of the same gauge and x- section as the 2 foot piece that comes with the gauge? Assuming this, you bought the extrusion and cut it to length yourself, right? That is an additional (MSRP) $60 on top of the miter gauge price of (MSRP) $160. Is it worth the additional expense? How often do you use the added length?

For the same price as above, one can purchase the Jessem Mite-R-Excel which has all the same attributes as the Kreg but gives you a solid 24" fence with the pull-out extension & stop that gives a cut-length of 36".
Check it out: http://www.jessem.com/mite_r_excel.htm

I bought my Kreg miter at the woodshow several years back, when they were just getting ready to come to market. I got the 24" and 36" solid extrusions, and swap the base kits and flip stop sbetween them, when I need to make a change. It's not too often, really.
Pretty sure there are other, fancier tools about these days. Mine was pretty reasonably priced, IIRC.
Enjoy your tools.
Patriarch

I too bought my Kreg when Kreg began to market it. You mention the flip stop. My flip stop would creep when I would tighten the plastic adjustment wing nut. Does yours to that? Kreg told me how to fix the problem and it no longer creeps.

The both of you just answered the question I posed to Leon.
--

"Anybody can have more birthdays; but it takes
balls to get old!"

There are several good ones out there and more have shown up since I bought the Kreg. I suggest the touchy feely thing on any that you may consider and for sure test the rigidity of the fence at different miter settings on all that you look at. Jessem has a pretty slick miter gauge although I have not put my hands on one.

Thanks again for all the info.
--

"Anybody can have more birthdays; but it takes
balls to get old!"

I did the touchy feely with the Jessem gauge, and it's a nice looking tool, as most of their things are. But at that price, and already owning an underutilized, functional gauge, I kept my wallet safe.
Patriarch