Best Miter Gauge?

This started out in the thread about the Osborne EB3, but I'm in the market for one myself, having found the Incra 1000SE wanting. What I'm looking for is one that has a one piece bar with a flip-stop that'll go out to at least 36" or so, that works with a sacrificial fence to prevent tear-out, and is "very" accurate on miters (with a guide bar that adjusts for zero slop). The Kreg looks good, but it only goes out to 24". I'd really like some extra length. (heh)

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Hi Jay I have the Incra 1000SE and you can remove the flip- stop and install in the other channel to give you the room for a 3/4" backer board and they make 36, 48, & 52" one piece fence's

Reply to
asshat

Here's one that extends to 46" ($239)

can put a sacrificial board on the Kreg to get extra wood. However, the flip stop will no longer work. The original track by Duginski (before Kreg) had a flip stop that works over the sac wood. But it wasn't as solid. I'm not sure if you can get the old track any more. But here's something that is close, and you can extend it.
'm almost sure you can connect it to the Kreg. Woodhaven sells a Miter Gauge that is very similar to the Kreg.
sell a deluxe kit as well, for $240.

I think I got my Kreg on sale for $100 less.

You could probably make a flip stop out of wood. Woodhaven has a flip stop that should work over a sac wood piece.

The Kreg allows precise tuning. (Vernier does 0.1 degree, and you can tweak it further). I also like the solid stops for common angles. But you are not forced to use these stops. The Woodhaven doesn't have the vernier.

Reply to
Max

You can get a 4' track for the Kreg.

Leon

Jay Pique wrote in news:1176772327.534808.197520 @l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

When I bought the Kreg, you could get a 36" bar for it. I did.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I don't think the 1000se goes out 36". I think max is around 30 inches. The

3000se goes way past 36" to around 45+ inches.

Thom

Reply to
Thom

I got the Osborne EB3 and I like it very much. Check out their website

. Also check out the reviews from all the major WW magazines listed on the Osborne site.

Reply to
Will

Glad you like it. I won't tell you what it's inherent problem is.

Reply to
Leon

You'd better tell me 'cause I ordered one yesterday! Luckily, they're out of stock until May 10th, so I can cancel the order. :)

Reply to
Mike M

When properly set up to fit you miter slot, and the end of the fence farthest from the blade extended away from you in the 45 degree position, the telescoping shaft extended full length, grab the far end of the fence and notice that you can wiggle it 3 to 4 degrees +or -.

Accurate 45's in this position will be achieved by luck good luck.

While the gauge is stable with the far end of the fence closer to you with the telescoping shaft in its shortest position when set at 45 degrees, you increase the tendency of tear out as the cut is made.

For the best position to guard against tear out on the back side of "any" miter gauge the fence should be set so that the end of the fence farthest from the blade travels forward of the end closest to the blade.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for the clarification, but aren't these problems inherent in most miter gauges?

Reply to
Mike M

Cutting angles.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

They sure are inherent in most gauges. If I have a board that is as long as Leon describes that I want to miter I use my chop saw. If there were real problems with the EB3 why would all the leading WW magazines rate it so high?

Reply to
Will

For the same reason you do not see negative reviews of cars in Car & Driver magazine.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Pray tell. May not be an issue for some. I'd like to know *before* I buy.

Reply to
SWDeveloper

Do you mean the 4 foot accessory extrusion of the same gauge and x- section as the 2 foot piece that comes with the gauge? Assuming this, you bought the extrusion and cut it to length yourself, right? That is an additional (MSRP) $60 on top of the miter gauge price of (MSRP) $160. Is it worth the additional expense? How often do you use the added length?

Reply to
maico

For the same price as above, one can purchase the Jessem Mite-R-Excel which has all the same attributes as the Kreg but gives you a solid

24" fence with the pull-out extension & stop that gives a cut-length of 36".

Check it out:

maico

NO. Most miter gauges DO NOT have the telescoping third leg of a triangle as the Osborne does. The problem is that the inner shaft fits too loosely inside the outer shaft. When the inner shaft is extended to its outer most position or near 45 degrees the whole telescoping support flexes back and forth causing the fence to move back and forth.

Reply to
Leon

Board length has nothing to do with it. The gauge set at 45 degrees with the telescoping arm extend to the far position has slop. Every Osbourn that I have seen has up to 1/2" slop at the end of the fence in the shortest position.

I understand that Fine Woodworking was not impressed for the reason mentioned.

Is yours the 1 in a million that does not have the play when set at 45 degrees?

Reply to
Leon

Buy from a local dealer so that you can set the miter gauge up on a saw. Set the Osborne miter gauge up with the telescoping adjustment rod in the most extended position at the 45 degree mark. Grab the far/leading end of the fence and wiggle it back and forth. The amount of deviation is usually + or - 2 to 3 degrees or some where between

1/4" and 1/2". While wiggling the fence back and forth notice that the telescoping adjustment shaft bows back and forth also.

The problem is that the telescoping shaft is extended too far in the far 45 degree setting and machine tolerances are way too lean to prevent movement.

Reply to
Leon