Best material to use for router fence

Page 2 of 2

Pat,
Thanks for the info and with those specs - it's obviously a very solid design.
Bob S.

Not exactly new. Been around for a few years now.

fence,
Just looked again. Thought it was the old one. Nope.

fence,
CW,
I built the "old" one that Pat had written an article for FWW a few years back. That router fence design is one of the best I've ever seen or used. I think Freud "borrowed" some of Pat's design, cheapened it up and generally made a mess of what could have been a decent fence. But as someone else has written already - it flexes easily and doesn't hold alignment well. I had a chance to use one when they first hit the market and found it to be lacking in a lot of ways.
Pat's design may be overkill for some applications - as he's stated many times, a 2x4 will work. But if you want a solid router fence that is versatile, precision adjustable and repeatable - then this is the fence to have:
http://www.patwarner.com/routerfence.html
I understand that he has made some minor improvements on the initial design. It is definitely not a toy and while it's not rocket science to build one, it does present some challenges and you better have some knowledge of what it takes to make some precision cuts in order to get the 1 thou (or better) accuracy. Do you need that kind of accuracy? Depends on what you're doing of course but knowing it is capable of that and that you can dial-in your cuts sure is nice...
I've coupled it with the Jessem Rout-R-Lift and it makes for a helluva combination. It was one of the most challenging shop projects I've done but it is one of the most used tools in the shop. I've learned a lot from Pat's books and his articles - he knows what he's talking about and is an excellent teacher.
Bob S.