Best material to use for router fence

Page 1 of 2

I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence, would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?
Locutus wrote:

It's worked great for me. Be sure to laminate both sides of the work surface to keep it flat if you're not attaching it to some sort of reinforcement. Most Biesemeyer-style table saw fences are either MDF or birch ply under the face laminate.
In some cases, like spot made special fences, I don't even bother to laminate the face. I simply paste wax the MDF and use the fence.

Sure. My only recommendation would be to either leave the MDF unfinished, or finish all sides the same way. I had an MDF/hardboard laminated router table fence warp on me, and the only thing I can figure out is that uneven finishing between the 2 sides led to warping. Baltic birch ply is also a good choice, or HDPE/UHMW plastic would be ideal if you don't need a lot of stiffness. Good luck, Andy

Where does one buy laminate anyway? This is where a bunch of people will chime in on how they get off cuts for free from some cabinet place or something, but where do you buy the stuff? Google just gets me to a billion links about flooring.
-Leuf
Leuf wrote:
> Where does one buy laminate anyway? This is where a bunch of people > will chime in on how they get off cuts for free from some cabinet > place or something, but where do you buy the stuff?
Just did a Google for "wilsonart".
Should get you started.
Didn't check "Formica".
There must be others.
Lew
On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 06:08:38 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Sorry, I mean able to buy online, in sizes that would be handy for workshop projects. None of the Lee Valley, Rockler, Woodcraft etc seem to carry any. I'd feel kind of silly walking into a distributer looking for a 4"x30" piece. You'd think somebody would be selling smaller pieces. Couldn't even find any on ebay.
What about sheet metal for a fence face? I was going to get some to try making a small cyclone for the shop vac anyway.
-Leuf
Leuf wrote:

Bakealite is a solid material,almost identical to laminate. Good medium to work with as well and is ideal for fence.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Bought a sheet at Lowes a while back. Be aware though that their prices are not good.

I bought a Freud adjustable router fence a year or so ago. It uses laminate fencing ...The thing I found was that the laminate would bend slightly when running through wood, thus giving an inaccurate cut. I solved it by adding a couple of slotted adjustable arms to the rear of each side of the fence. Once I have the fence where I want it I simply slide the arms up to it and tighten them down...works fine. Too bad I can't post a picture here.
BTW - I contacted Freud and told them about this, offering my solution, but never ever got even an acknowledgment that they received it.
Recently I bought two hefty pieces of aluminium angle and plan to make a fence, similar to the laminate one, to replace it. Once that's positioned I can't see it flexing.
Keith

Home Depot, Lowes...
May not be the highest quality, or cheapest, but is adequate and convenient. Like most of their other stuff, I guess.

That is correct, they sell it at HD.
Locutus wrote:

I'd want something harder and slicker than MDF. Phenolic would be my first choice. Hard, flat, doesn't shrink or swell, expensive. Plastic laminate on the MDF would be a good second choice.
On 6 Sep 2006 08:54:56 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

I used this stuff http://tinyurl.com/etcw4 from RS. With impact adhesive onto MDF, seems to be holding up well
Pete
. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .
RE: Subject
A slab of 1/2" Corian or equal.
Lew

I bought one that way, when I first made my router table. Slides on an aluminum extrusion. It's worked well enough that I haven't bothered to install the gee-whiz, fancy fence that a neighbor gave me when he moved all his stuff to Incra.
Have fun!
Patriarch
MDF or MDF/laminate is a good choice. The laminate is just tougher and will handle the abuse better than the raw MDF.
For "one time" or "throw away" fences, MDF is really hard to beat.
Locutus wrote:

I used 6/4 rock maple, 20 years ago. Still perfectly flat.
Dave
Wood, metail & plastic, see sample:
http://patwarner.com/images/new_fence.jpg

Pat,
New product coming out I see. Looks like it's a pivoting fence but I don't understand why the aluminum stiffener on the face? Or is this a special purpose use fence that you've designed?
Bob S.

Pretty special, but for general use, Bob.
Yes it pivots. Plan on CD-R on the Router Table, plans for that fence in the CD. Pivot is the simplest design for precision & accuracy. Will offer the critical parts, all, part or none. Stiffener: Adds substantially to deflection resistance and clamps the plastic down flat. Numbers show <.001" deflection at the C/L with 25 static pounds at that point.
Key to this one: Cutter is damn hard to get to the operator ( a curtain safety fence) and there are no interruptions; it is continouous. More in a few weeks.