Best material to use for a deck

Page 2 of 2

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:15:08 -0400, "Dick Snyder"

I posted a note on an IPE deck earlier this year "IPE DEck Finished" with a link to pics.
It's great stuff if a bit expensive.
Regards.
I just googled and found your posting. The wood looks kind of like the color of redwood. I have seen ipe decks and they are grey (with age). Does ipe look like that in your pictures when it is new or did you apply some kind of finish? Your project looks great by the way!

Dick Snyder wrote:

There's a good deal of color variation in ipe. I have some cabinet grade Argentinian ipe whose appearance is almost indistinguishable from black walnut--in fact it is sometimes sold as "Brazilian Walnut".

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

If you hit it with yellow dye and a coat of shellac, you get a reddish brown that looks just like mahogany with the right grain and everything.
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:04:25 -0400, "Dick Snyder"

Sorry for late response - I've been on the road.
I hit it with a coat of Messimers after the buildout. Lots of vendors reccommend you oil it at least once, then let it grey out if you don't want to oil it every year.
Regards.