Best limb/pruning/bow saw?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Try a pull saw. Used to be you could get a Shark at Home Depot--they're really decent for the price. Now it's Dewalt at Home Depot and Irwin at Lowes, for 20-25 bucks.
You want the double-edged model. Try it--you'll either love it or hate it. If you love it but need a longer or coarser saw there are other brands available online. If you hate it you haven't spent much.
On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 10:56:33 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

of park regulations, I can't use mechanical devices (no Stihl). I've used a bow saw in the past but that has been truly, truly a difficult process. M aybe the bow saw is just dull, I don't know. I wonder if there is some exce llent saw out there that really hogs out a kerf.

Thanks everyone for the great replies! I'm first going to try to sharpen t he saw blade because maybe I'll learn something. The next step is to by a n ew blade. And the dream is to buy one of those excellent limb saws.

I had the little bow saw out tonight, and noticed the teeth are sharpened simply and very much like a hand saw. Grab a file, put on some music and just follow the angle. You may want to put just the blade in a vise, but whatever works.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

"Puckdropper" wrote in message

The problem with "modern" bow saw blades is that most if not all of them have hardened teeth, i.e., they are throw aways.
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Since you brought it up, I'm curious. What about hand saws (and tree saws) like you would find in a big-box store. Same thing (i.e. hardened teeth)? How about their expensive counterparts sold by the likes of Veritas Tools, etc.
Bill
"Bill" wrote in message

I've seen both... but the majority I've check on have hardened teeth.
I pulled up the Stihl site and they have this message on some of the pruning saw listings "Impulse-hardened blades cannot be sharpened." The impulse hardened blade appears on their $89 saw as well as others... Other Stihl pages list the blades as being chromed or nickeled which would seem to preclude sharpening... but perhaps not.
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/hand-tools/hand-pruning-saws/
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

I've seen both... but the majority I've check on have hardened teeth.
I pulled up the Stihl site and they have this message on some of the pruning saw listings "Impulse-hardened blades cannot be sharpened." The impulse hardened blade appears on their $89 saw as well as others... Other Stihl pages list the blades as being chromed or nickeled which would seem to preclude sharpening... but perhaps not.
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/hand-tools/hand-pruning-saws/
P.S. this isn't necessarily a bad thing for around the house use as my Snap-Cut pole saw/lopper is over 20 years old and it still cuts just fine. If I used it daily in a professional capacity that would be OK too as the blades are easily changed and are still available.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.earthlink.net says...

With a diamond file you can sharpen just about anything (I've sharpened ceramic knives with one) but you're going to cut through the plating or hardened case and then you may be cutting with some pretty soft metal.