Best Lathe Video

Hey, I just got a free lathe from a baseball bat manufacturer and I am a total newbie. I was wondering what the very best video on starting to turn wood is. I am posting this in both newsgroups. Are there any videos that might not meet my description but are must haves?

Rob

Reply to
rob

snipped-for-privacy@robmward.com wrote in news:1161654259.451953.29420 @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Welcome Rob, I've been turning for fifty-two years and bought Richard Raffan's Turning Wood video and the book of the same title. I should mention that I took a fifty year break in my fifty-two tears of turning. I got back into turning because I had contacted restoration job that involved restoring 10 columns (a semi circular porch). The column bases and the upper and lower capitals had to be replaced due to rot. I tried to find a turner that would be able to turn the capitals that summer and was unsuccessful. Since I had been a pretty good turner in school and think I can do anything, I bought a lathe (Jet mini, the lager diameter capitals were nine and a half inches) and a set of Sears lathe tools. The capitals were pretty simple to turn; two beads and a cove or two. Now I was hooked and I was also sixty-two (I lied, sixty-three). Memory is a great thing, but using the skew made me think I had forgotten something and being I had only turned spindles in school, I thought a book and/or a video might be prudent. I can re-discover the wheel as good as anybody. I don't know anyone that is better at learning from the 'School of Hard Knocks' better than I, but I didn't want to spend the time learning to walk (never mind staunching the flow of blood) at my age. Mr. Raffan's tutorials brought back the basics and I recommend his video and book. I also have a book on basic turning by Keith Rowely that I think is very good. One only reinforces the other. Either by itself is more than adequate. Enjoy the lathe, Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Rob,

I bought Richard Raffens, books and videos when I first started. He is a production turner, and is a marvel to watch. Woodcraft sells his books and videos. Check out

Nick Cook is a good resource. His web site is
agree with the other responses, and that is, you won't really learn until you put the metal to the wood. Use the DVDs and books as a reference while you are turning. I put a combo 10 inch vcr/dvd player in place so I can refer to it while I am turning. Remember, every turner has his/hers own technique. Do not try to turn like someone else, but learn from them and apply it to your style.

Art

snipped-for-privacy@robmward.com wrote:

Reply to
Desert Rat

Reply to
robo hippy

Screw the videos, I'd like to hear how you wound up with a free lathe.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

I coach high school football and one of the other coaches makes baseball bats. He has switched to an automated system. I simply used my overflowing charm to convince him that I wasn't going to make bats in competition with him. He had an extra lathe so he agreed I could have it for a year and see what happens. Its not quite a full gloat but sometimes a tool loaned out for a year can be forgotten. (Or I will pay for it.)

Buddy Matlosz wrote:

Reply to
rob

I coach high school football and one of the other coaches makes baseball bats. He has switched to an automated system. I simply used my overflowing charm to convince him that I wasn't going to make bats in competition with him. He had an extra lathe so he agreed I could have it for a year and see what happens. Its not quite a full gloat but sometimes a tool loaned out for a year can be forgotten. (Or I will pay for it.)

PS I did pay the price for it though, our team got it a** kicked for most of the year (but did win their first playoff game tonight!)

Buddy Matlosz wrote:

Reply to
rob

Sounds like every one I've ever loaned out, that's for sure.

Reply to
George

Hello Rob,

To toot my own horn a wee bit... I have an excellent DVD video on Turning Writing Pens (70 mins) and a two disk DVD set on Bowl Turning (140 mins) that have been very well received by wood turners around the world. Both have received excellent reviews. If you would like detailed information, I will be happy to email you. The bowl turning video set is available at Craft Supplies USA at

We will also have our own website up > Hey,

Reply to
Steve Russell