Best finish for Walnut?

Looking for something to bring out the natural color and grain.
Thanks, nivek
nivek asks:

What kind of use, though?
Charlie Self "I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill
Nothing special, just a bookcase.
Thanks, nivek

I just made a little hanging cabinet out of walnut for a community college class I was taking.
To finish it I used (the late) Tage Frid's "4F" finish (Frid's Fine, Fast Finish) as detailed on page 188 of Book 2.
If you don't have the book, it is basically laying on a liberal coat of Watco or linseed oil (not boiled, according to Frid) followed quicklt by a 3# cut of shellac. When the mixture gets tacky (just a few minutes, you rub out the oil/shellac combo with 000 steel wool. Afterwards a coat of wax is all it needs.
The color is natural, the grain livens up and the whole effect is very rich, yet the finish is simple and quick to apply. Naturally, you'll want to test it on a scrap to see for yourself.
Ian

@hotmail.com says...

Super blonde shellac. My personal favorite would be Orange shellac though as it really make Walnut glow IMHO.
--
All the best,

Michael Mastin
I agree with the shellac. Another option is Deft Oil, Danish Oil Finish. It supposedly has more varnish in it than other Danish oils.
says...

July 4th ***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Old Nick wrote:
Answer:> July 4th

Question: What is the equivalent in the UK of the American July 4th?

It's 4th July all over the world but not everybody regards it as a holiday <g>
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

When I was finishing a walnut telephone stand, I got a lot of recommendations for Waterlox, which is what I used.
todd

==============Most of my work is done in walnut and I generally use Watco followed by several coats of Butchers wax...
Bob Griffiths
@hotmail.com says...

Danish oil. Tried and True if you can.
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

Let me take that back Danish oil answer back.
First thing you have to decide is just how much protection the finish is going to be required to provide.
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods