Best finish for plane handles?

I seem to have more luck with a rub on finish like tung oil, or perhaps a paste varnish. I have done some before using a gel stain with two coats of low luster varnish by benjamin moore. I found brushing the varnish to be far from easy. I like the way the handles on the lie nielson planes look, kind of a low luster but smoothe look. Is it acceptable to apply a couple of coats of tung oil (pure) over an oil or water based stain?
Mike
Dear Mike,
<snip, finish for plane handles>
Deft rattle can Lacquer,