best finish for eating table top?

I need to refinish our worn oak kitchen table. What is the appropriate finish to put on an eating surface like that.?
thank you

As long as you don't actually eat the table you can use anything. I prefer polyurethane.
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

However, I prefer the look of Danish oil. I, 20 years ago. made our kitchen table out of ash and used Danish oil. Since then I have refinished the table once. I am looking forward to refinish it again before Christmas. I do not know how many year polyurethane can stand the every day abuse of a large family?

Are you implying that danish oil is more durable or harder or tougher than polyurethane? I was under the impression that danish oil is a nice rubbing finish for pieces that won't get much wear, but that it doesn't build much and is a very soft finish. Do you have experience that suggests otherwise, or did I misinterpret your post? Andy

Danish oil is not a rubbing finish it a resin formula that penetrates deeply. Its easily applied using a brush then you wipe it out using a rag. Depending on the manufacturer Danish oil is Tung oil and urethane resin formula. Polyurethane is an extremely durable finish and well like for wooden floors. Danish oil can be refinished using a steel wool to remove scratches and the likes. While polyurethane is hard and requires more labour to remove scratches and refinish, Danish oil is easier to apply and refinishing take less time. I like the looks of Danish and Tung oil other prefer the looks of varnish. Its a matter of preferences. If I am using solid wood to make furniture It is because I enjoy looking a the natural grains. When using Eastern while pine I use polyurethane

For a heavily used kitchen table, I'd probably use a good varnish, like Behlen's Rock Hard or Waterlox, or a good quality urethane, like Waterlox Urethane varnish. Let it thoroughly dry, then wet sand the dust nibs out with 320 or 400 grit, and adjust the sheen by rubbing with pumice. If you want a high gloss, continue rubbing with rottenstone.
If you're going to eat it, I prefer a good pepper sauce.

I find that steel wool and TreWax works nicely too.

TreWax is well liked as long as you remember not to rub your eyes after using fine steel wool.

trs80 wrote:

Easiest to apply/refinish and least water resistent to hardest to apply/most water resistent...
1. Oil (any oil...boiled linseed, tung, etc.)
2. Lacquer (what you'd most likely get on a new, bought table)
3. Alkyd varnish or paint
4. Urethane varnish or paint
--

dadiOH
____________________________

trs80 wrote:

No, paint thinner won't touch lacquer. In fact, it shouldn't have bothered *any* finish. Possibly the top was unfinished but stained with an oil base stain? _______________

It doesn't really matter except thet clear water based finishes don't increase the color and grain contrast of the wood like oil based ones. Oil base adds a slight amber color too.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Fingernail polish remover will definitely eat right through lacquer.

best finish for eating table top?
after eating a table top i would recomend finishing with a slice of apple pie with a scoop of vanilla
"splinter" wrote

Perhaps finish off with a bar-stool pie?
Sun, Jul 1, 2007, 3:15pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (trs80) doth burble: I need to refinish our worn oak kitchen table. What is the appropriate finish to put on an eating surface like that.?
Plates.
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
On Jul 2, 6:32 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Ahhh, but thou overlooketh a tablecloth with a summer-like motif. A centre piece of freshly cut flowers will adorn a normally blas eating surface. Don't forget to polish away those waterspots from your crystal!
Fluff all the seating pillows for your guests as well.

Glad you cleared that up... from the post's subject, I was going to recommend a good bbq sauce..
<lurk>
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing