best finish for a candle holder (flame resistant)

I am building a candle holder and am curious what finish to use that is flame resistant. The wood won't be in direct contact with the candle, but I don't want to take any chances.
rlz wrote:

Unless you actually light the candle, there should be little risk.
On 7/6/2014 5:42 PM, rlz wrote:

Typically, one uses a metal cup insert in the candle holder or at least that is what I've always done. The finish on the wood really ceases to be of any importance at that point unless somebody does something totally insane with it.
On 7/6/2014 2:42 PM, rlz wrote:

I had never heard of a wood candle holder catching fire from a lit candle but I decided to spend a few minutes doing a bit of research.
The flashpoint of wood (hardwood firewood) in the absence of humidity is something on the order of 350dF (higher depending upon whose paper you read). Remember Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)? That's the flashpoint of paper (depending upon whose...). Paraffin wax burns at 390dF so I suppose it's possible if improbable, that the holder could catch fire if burning wax was dripped onto it.
    mahalo,     jo4hn
On Sunday, July 6, 2014 3:42:13 PM UTC-6, rlz wrote:

I guess the better question is there any wood finishes that are flammable, and should be avoided? I just don't want to put a finish on it that will easily catch on fire.
rlz wrote:

Why not apply one of the finishes you are considering to a test piece, and see how easy it is to catch it on fire? Combining that with common sense should give you a solution, as long as you are not selling them.