best finish for a candle holder (flame resistant)

I am building a candle holder and am curious what finish to use that is flame resistant. The wood won't be in direct contact with the candle, but I don't want to take any chances.

Reply to
rlz

Unless you actually light the candle, there should be little risk.

Reply to
Bill

Typically, one uses a metal cup insert in the candle holder or at least that is what I've always done. The finish on the wood really ceases to be of any importance at that point unless somebody does something totally insane with it.

Reply to
BenignBodger

I had never heard of a wood candle holder catching fire from a lit candle but I decided to spend a few minutes doing a bit of research.

The flashpoint of wood (hardwood firewood) in the absence of humidity is something on the order of 350dF (higher depending upon whose paper you read). Remember Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)? That's the flashpoint of paper (depending upon whose...). Paraffin wax burns at 390dF so I suppose it's possible if improbable, that the holder could catch fire if burning wax was dripped onto it.

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I guess the better question is there any wood finishes that are flammable, and should be avoided? I just don't want to put a finish on it that will easily catch on fire.

Reply to
rlz

Why not apply one of the finishes you are considering to a test piece, and see how easy it is to catch it on fire? Combining that with common sense should give you a solution, as long as you are not selling them.

Reply to
Bill

Wow Bill... what a super helpful answer! Problem solved.

Reply to
Bill Sucks

So you being judgemental eight years on, maybe it was a sarcastic remark.

Reply to
Markem618

Bill Sucks snipped-for-privacy@example.com wrote in news:1724cb20abb41734$11$3882287$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newsgroupdirect.com:

Wow, Bill's hit the bigtime now! Someone thought to create a new name for a "diss post", haven't seen that in years.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I went and looked. It was (paraphrased) "Maybe put some finish on a scrap piece and test it for flammability". Personally, I think it is a reasonable answer to someone concerned about flammability... I have no affiliation with "Bill Sucks". In fact, I find the name sort of offensive... ; )

Reply to
Bill

That response may have been to the earlier comment, attributed to Bill... "Unless you actually light the candle, there should be little risk."

Reply to
Brian Welch