Best finish

What's the best finish for a hardwood breadboard, some sort of oil?

Mineral oil. Don't use vegetable oil as it can turn rancid.
I'll Second mineral oil. I made some boards from Oak, Maple, Ash and Walnut last year and was very pleased with the appearance after about three coats of Mineral Oil - very attractive.
Only diadvantages - You will have to renew occasionally, but usually takes a few minutes. As with any product like this keep it away from the diswasher.
wrote in message

You can obtain mineral oil at the corner drug store.
Thunder
Thanks guys, appreciate the help.