Best cordless drill?

Page 2 of 3

But! How heavy is the thing? All the newer cordless I see have batteries that are substantially larger than my Milwaukee cordless.

Smaller than comparable 18 volt batteries.
Right now, Festool is closing out a cool D-handle 12V drill for $225. YOu can also get it with the right angle and eccentric (offset) chucks for $335. It's not cheap, but considering the weight, power, and 3 year warranty, 15 minute charging time, and the fact that the basic drill is approximately the same price as a Panasonic (or most others), I'm leaning towards Festool to upgrage my BD Firestorm.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

On 26 Apr 2005 14:05:28 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

i have tried em all and honestlt love my panasonic 15.4. use it all day everyday. hard use. 2 years old and the batteries still hold a good charge. they are light weight and well ballanced. not quite as powerfull as some of the others i have used but plenty powerfull for most uses.
skeez

I went to Coastal Tool with the intention of buying a Bosch. Walked out with a 15.6 volt Panasonic. Feels good in the hand, has plenty of power, has a chuck that you can tighten or loosen with one hand. Batteries seem to last forever on a charge.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Milwaukee gets my money...

I have 6-- 12.00volt PC units that are four years old that we use everyday here at the school. We use them hard and I have never had any service problems or had to replace any batteries.
Mike from American Sycamore www.americansycamoreretreat.com
On 26 Apr 2005 14:05:28 -0700, the inscrutable " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I had the chance to try out the Bosch stuff at a Big Blue World Tour event last Saturday which hosted the Bosch tool truck. I played with their 12v and 14.4v impact drills and was extremely impressed by their power. Using the impact meant virtually no pressure against the screw was needed, making driving a lot of long screws MUCH, MUCH easier.
If I'd had a spare $160, I'd have brought one of the 14.4 volters home. (The 18v model didn't have any appreciable difference in battery life but was considerably cha-chingier.) The tool truck had $30-50 off the sale prices at Diamond Home Center. That put them at about half that of Panasonic's gilded prices. I didn't look at model numbers 'cuz I wasn't buying.

You probably can't go wrong with either a Panasonic or Bosch impact drill/driver.
------------------------------------------------------------------- Do. Or do not. * Stylin' Web Design Services There is no try. --Yoda * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------------------------
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I got one of the Panasonic 12V Compact Drill/Drivers when Amazon had them on sale for $50. This is a real nice little drill. It doesn't have the power of the bigger cordless drills, but it's light and easy to handle and works fine for driving screws and drilling small holes.
--
-- Steve

Heath,
I just bought a Milwaukee last year. First Milwaukee tool I've ever bought and I got to tell you, I love it. I had a PC 14.4 for a little over a year when the motor went. Sent it back to be repaired but the replaced the motor for free. Good service on that one. I was working on a big project though so I went out and bought the Milwuakee 14.4 based on Wood Mag's reviews. The battery is reversible as someone mentioned, which does allow you to get into tight spaces, but it also serves as a counter weight. It sits very comfortably in the hand. Torque in Wood's test was second to none and I can attest to that. Its a beast. Battery life is not the best, also jives with Wood's test. The other thing I love is that the chuck (made of metal by the way) is tightened with one hand to the right torque.
Started with a Black and Deck, graduated to a Craftsman, then got the PC. Used others DeWalt, won't give up the Milwaukee anytime soon.
Just in case it helps. Good luck,
Chuck
Milwaukee 28 volt. Lighter weight, more power, longer run. This is a professional grade tool for the long haul. This stuff is new, as in the last few weeks. Saw and used some at a local tool show last Friday. Impressive.

On a related note, can anyone recommend a good cordless for $100? My wife has a budget. :-(

Depends on what she is going to use it for, at that price a Panasonic 12 volt or maybe a Ryobi. Should last her a few years of home use.
Is $100 the budget for YOUR drill or YOUR WIFE's drill? If it's for the wife, I recommend the DeWalt 3/8" corded drill kit for about $60 everywhere. The batteries won't be dead when she next goes to use it. Get a 14-guage extension cord to go with it. Plenty lightweight and plenty of power.
On 27 Apr 2005 03:25:39 GMT, Bruce Barnett

It's a B-Day present for me. And she likes to go to a real store and pick it up. So I'm looking at Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc. and haven't found anything exceptional. I has a Makita that suddently died, and I miss a cordless drill.
Right now I'm looking at some Craftsman models. I'm not a contractor.

You won't find anything exceptional at stores that cater to mediocrity. Look for a real industrial supply place. Here in CT we have Coastal Tools.
I have had good success with an 18 V Ryobi for the past four years. Lots of people bad mouth Ryobi but my experience has been positive. Previously I had a Craftsman and a Makita and they did not compare.
Dick

On 27 Apr 2005 03:25:39 GMT, Bruce Barnett

Try this one: (Amazon.com product link shortened)14600554/sr=1-25/ref=sr_1_25/103-6449867-4589445?v=glance&s=hi
(watch the word wrap)
I haven't used it, but I've been impressed with Porter-Cable's quality. It's only 9.6v, but that may be all you need.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

(Amazon.com product link shortened)14600554/sr=1-25/ref=sr_1_25/103-6449867-4589445?v=glance&s=hi
Thanks for the tip! I took your advice and ordered the PC for $79, with 2 batteries, and choose the Best Value and got a third battery for free!
On 28 Apr 2005 00:51:35 GMT, Bruce Barnett

Excellent. Let us know how it works! I've been very happy with my PC691 D-handle router, and I'm seriously considering adding some more PC to my arsenal.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam