Best Book on Finishing?

Page 2 of 2
On 14 Oct 2004 06:31:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

Get these two, you won't be sorry.
Also, never count out your local library for test driving books. <G>
Barry
Adding to books are on-line forums on finishing. First one I go to daily is www.homesteadfinishing.com
On 14 Oct 2004 06:31:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

If you live close to a Barnes & Nobles or any good franchise bookstore just do what I did, I gathered an arm load of books and proceeded to the nearest sofa chair and read through each until I setteled on the book or books that included the knowledge base I was requiring then bought them. By the way our local B&N has all the books that other responders have identified as good sources.
Fri, Oct 15, 2004, 7:59am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@cableone.net (Seeker) says: If you live close to a Barnes & Nobles or any good franchise bookstore just do what I did, I gathered an arm load of books and proceeded to the nearest sofa chair and read through each until I setteled on the book or books that included the knowledge base I was requiring then bought them. By the way our local B&N has all the books that other responders have identified as good sources.
Not a bad idea. However. Once you've found the one(s) you like, if you look around a bit on the web, you can probably get them cheaper then B&N - even including postage. Recenty got a book listed at $25, plus postage, for less than $20, including postage. New. Another going for $35 new, plus postage, got for around $25, new, including postage. It's not hard, just takes about 10 minutes to check prices. IF you look.
I still prefer used bookstores. I find the newer woodworking books have only one or two projects that interest me, and I'm not about to pay $30 for a book like that. I've gone to B&N and found books like that, I wouldn't mind having, but wasn't about to part with that much, for so little. Then stopped at the used bookstore, and more than once found the same book, for $5-$7, in as-new condition.
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:27:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Borders usually has one or two woodworking books on the discount shelf, as well. I've gotten a couple marked down from $40+ for $5.99.

On 14 Oct 2004 06:31:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

I picked this one up tonight, and I'm pretty happy with it- assuming that the advice he gives is sound. Lots of information regarding the actual properties and interactions of various finishes that seems to be based on some solid facts, and not just a how-to book. I spent about an hour picking through finishing books at Borders, and this one seemed to have the most information- though I did not give them the kind of going over you can get by reading them fully and trying the advice out!