Best Book on Finishing?

Page 1 of 2
Lot's of books to choose from! I've listed some I found from Amazon below. I want one that covers mixing finishes like wax topcoats on Danish oil, or shellac as a top coat, etc. I also want a chart (that I've seen somewhere but don't recall) that compares various finishes in terms of durability, repairability, water resistence, shine, etc. I don't care about spraying techniques, I'm only doing hand finishing....
BTW, I'd welcome a recommendation from Jeff Jewitt, a sometimes contributor to this group and the author of many of the books listed below. Jeff, are you out there reading this?
Here's the list I found: Tauton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Finishing by Jeff and Susan Jewitt
Great Wood Finishes: A Step-by-Step Guide to Consistent and Beautiful Results by Jeff Jewitt
Hand-Applied Finishes by Jeff Jewitt
Finishes and Finishing Techniques: Professional Secrets for Simple and Beautiful Finishes in Fine Woodworking by Tauton Press
Understanding Wood Finishing: How to Select and Apply the Right Finish by Bob Flexner
More Finishes and Finishing Techniques: The Best of Fine Woodworking by Fine Woodworking
The New Wood Finishing Book by Michael Dresdner
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 06:31:55 -0700, Never Enough Money wrote:

^__ my vote
I read one of the Jewitt books (GWF) at the same time I first read the Flexner. I found the Flexner to be better. Jewitt does have a lot of info regarding UK enviro/safety regs, so it might be a good choice for UK readers.
Here's a sideways generalization for you: I just read the Taunton sharpening book by Lie-Nielsen. If I didn't already own Lee's sharpening book, I'd consider buying about the L-N book. So, with a sample size of 1, I find the Taunton books to be well-done.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:51:37 -0500, Australopithecus scobis

I own a dozen Taunton books and have read a dozen more. I found that nearly all of them, despite the topic or subject, are very well done. (But I still call 'em the Taunt Me Press)
I found Flexner's book to be dry, limp, & lifeless (like my hair) but good in content. I wasn't dippy about the photography.
My favorite wood discoloration book is Jewitt's "Hand Applied Finishes", followed by the Flexner and Dresdner books, in that order.
I read Flexner's "Understanding Wood Finishing", Jewitt's "Hand Applied Finishes", and Dresdner's "The Woodfinishing Book" in that order in a period of a couple months a few years ago.
Flexner concerned himself more with theory and science, Jewitt with hands-on work/appraisals/experience, and Dresdner with his experiences (with which I often found myself disagreeing.)
I'd recommend the first two for inclusion in any WW's library.
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry. http://diversify.com

I whole heartedly agree. This book's title describes its mission perfectly. It gives you an education about what's available, strengths and weaknesses, compabilities, and application. It spends a lot of effort devoted to debunking so-called myths of wood finishing and gives some insight into what commercial finishes actually contain. I think its really increased my awareness of paying attention to how a finish will hold up.
Bob
I found this one at the library and I agree with Bob. It is one of the top finishing books.
Thunder

The best book is the one you can find at the library. You'll likely find one on your list at the library.
Thunder
On 14 Oct 2004 06:31:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

Why?
Because it is free. Especially important for those who are on fixed income.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:15:24 -0500, Prometheus

It's as free as anything can get.
Thunder

Gotcha. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so challenging.
Bob
The library is not a good option if you want the book on your nightstand to peruse at any time for the next, say, 10 years.
(Never Enough

Thu, Oct 14, 2004, 12:13pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (NeverEnoughMoney) says: The library is not a good option if you want the book on your nightstand to peruse at any time for the next, say, 10 years.
For someone who posts as Never Enough Money, you sure aren't thinking. The library is an EXCELLENT option.
It's one Hell of a lot cheaper to go to the library, read the books there, then decide which one(s) you want to purchase. There's a good chance the libray has the ones on your list. And, if they don't, they can borrow them.
Or, you can just go ahead and buy the books first, and maybe wind up unhappy with your choice. Up to you.
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker
Good point, maybe....
The book was $11 plus shipping. The tools I lust for are much more. E.g. I still need a bandsaw -- 1.5 HP Delta plus a good fence will clock in around $1100. That's the sort of thing I never have enough money for. I've been hoping to find a used one -- it's been two months now.
Anyway, my logic is that $15 for a book will save numerous trips to the library since I will consult the book any times over the next umpteen years. At 32 cents per miile (including wear and tear) a trip to the library would cost me approximately $1.60. So I'd break even after ten saved trips. In this case (a reference book), buying could easily be cheaper than the library... I do about two finishing jobs a year so I might consult the book twice ayear. So we're talking five years. Although there maybe other reasons to go to the library and it'd be unfair to book those trips at $1.60. Ah heck, having the book is just so much more convenient. Plus, I'm a book junkie as much as I am a tool junkie. Perhaps that's why I never have enough money!
So far my buddies on rec.woodowrking have steered me right on both tools and books and finishes. The only thing rec.woodworking does poorly at is steering one's politics. However, I see you and I might admire the same bumper stickers....
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in message

Thu, Oct 14, 2004, 9:07pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (NeverEnoughMoney) says: <snip> Anyway, my logic is that $15 for a book will save numerous tripsto the library since I will consult the book any times over the next umpteen years. At 32 cents per miile (including wear and tear) a trip to the library would cost me approximately $1.60. So I'd break even after ten saved trips. In this case (a reference book), buying could easily be cheaper than the library... <snip>
My logic is, buy the book, you don't like it, you're stuck. Yeah, I know, you can usually return a book, and get a refund, but that's always a hassle, and you always wind up being a few $ in the hole anyway. You go to the library, look at the book, thumb thru it, maybe borrow it, then make up your mind if you want to pop for it or not. So you pay a bit extra if you like the book - run some errands on the same trip, you areen't even out the extra. But, if you don't want it, you're only out the $1.60, at the most, anot not stuck with a book you don't want.
I very, very, seldom buy a book without being able to thumb thru it first. There are exceptions, but few, and far between, and never, ever, of a book recommended to me by someone else - they don't have my tastes. I don't think I've every kept any book given to me either. Most of my home library was bought in used bookstores - usually from around $3-$5 each, as high as about $9 each, as low as $1 each (US dollars). I've gotten a LOT of books that way, actually have more woodworking books than my local, or county, librarys, better variety too. Heh heh.
I'm not overly thrilled with the thought of putting Bush back in office. But, I'm a whole lot less thrilled with the thought of putting Kerry in.
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker
On 14 Oct 2004 21:07:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

I'm sure it's a beauty of a saw, but those grizzlys are awful nice, too. For a third of the price you could get a 13" and put a riser block in it- my voc. ed. instructor was telling me fine woodworking (IIRC) just ran an article on that very topic. Then you'd have enough for a jointer or something besides!

I wonder how many folks get into woodworking as a result of book addiction? I could easily post under the handle (never enough bookshelves) myself.

On 14 Oct 2004 12:13:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

Odds are after 10 years the termites have gotten it or there is something better to read.
Thunder

*Shudder* So that's why my local library no longer carries Euclid's Elements... Guess "Geometry for Dummies" is better to read. Yuck.

I agree it's a good idea to support your local library, but this is one of those things that it's nice to have down in your shop whenever you need it.

On 14 Oct 2004 06:31:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

It's not a good generalist book, but one of the most detailed on classic French polishing is George Frank's "Classic Wood Finishing"
--
Smert' spamionam