Best bit to mortise for panels--Pat Warner??

What is the best bit to mortise stiles-rails that receive panels? I recently used an up-cut solid carbide and noticed 'minor' chip-out at the top of the mortise.

Ordinary straight bit? Down-cut spiral?

Reply to
Stoutman

Stoutman wrote: | What is the best bit to mortise stiles-rails that receive panels? I | recently used an up-cut solid carbide and noticed 'minor' chip-out | at the top of the mortise. | | Ordinary straight bit? Down-cut spiral?

A down spiral will have the least tendency to raise wood fibers at the top of a mortise, but will also tend to pack the chips into the bottom of the mortise.

Chip-out in a mortise may be a sign of a not-so-sharp (even if brand-new!) bit. A good, sharp bit should shear wood fibers rather than breaking them.

If chip removal isn't a problem, then an ordinary (plunge cutting) straight bit should produce the most consistantly good results.

Morris Dovey

I am not Pat but I use the TS for the slots and a Mortising router bit for the tennons. Using a TS is 10 times faster and easier on the equipment for making panel slots.

Reply to
Leon

Just run them thru end for end to center groove, just like Norm does it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yup.. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I should have added that these are stopped dadoes.

Reply to
Stoutman

LOL... That would totally discount my suggestion.

Reply to
Leon