Best bang for the buck regarding chisels..

Page 2 of 2
I know how you feel. I have the Marples set myself hehe
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods

http://www.diefenbacher.com/Chiselink.htm
A variety of grades available. I've bought from him and was happy.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

FWW did a chisel test & review in issue #139 (Dec'99). In it they ranked the mfgrs products for "toughness" ie the ability to hold an edge. They also gave a real world ratings to the rankings: 1-3 = excellent; 4-7 = Good; and 8+ = Average.
The best value for the money is something you have to research & decide for yourself.
Art
Rank Mfgr 1 White Steel 2 Blue Steel 3 Iyori 4 Hirsch 5 Barr Specialty Tools 6 Two Cherries 7 Crown Tools 8 Harris Tools 9 Craftsman 10 Japan Woodworker 11 Garrett Wade 12 Sorby Gilt-Edge 13 Lee Valley 14 Sorby Octagonal 15 Stanley 16 Marples Blue Chip 17 Pfeil

FWW did a chisel test & review in issue #139 (Dec'99). In it they ranked the mfgrs products for "toughness" ie the ability to hold an edge. They also gave a real world ratings to the rankings: 1-3 = excellent; 4-7 = Good; and 8+ = Average.
The best value for the money is something you have to research & decide for yourself.
Art
Rank Mfgr 1 White Steel 2 Blue Steel 3 Iyori 4 Hirsch 5 Barr Specialty Tools 6 Two Cherries 7 Crown Tools 8 Harris Tools 9 Craftsman 10 Japan Woodworker 11 Garrett Wade 12 Sorby Gilt-Edge 13 Lee Valley 14 Sorby Octagonal 15 Stanley 16 Marples Blue Chip 17 Pfeil

These got rated pretty low by comparison to the others. They may not be the best steel, but the hardness of the steel isn't everything. There's definitely something to be said for a tool that just "feels" right. I wouldn't trade my set of these for anything.
If you're looking for Japanese chisels you really can't beat the blue steel Matsumura chisels from Japan Woodworker. Excellent bang for the buck among Japanese chisels...and chisels in general.
Layne Usual disclaimers apply.