Best bang for the buck regarding chisels..

Those are certainly not the Buck Bros. tools sold at BORGS and hardware stores.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Correct. The good ones predate the BORG by at least 50 years.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Or better still, buy British! If you want a decent quality, serviceable chisel at a great price for a set, get the Marples Blue Chip. I have a set of top of the line Japanese chisels which cost an arm and a leg. They're absolutely great but I feel I might be just as well off with the Marples for my work and the arm and leg back in the bank!! If you can sharpen well and quickly, do the Marples. The British don't pay slave wages either! All the best, Paul

Reply to
Paul

If you're looking for Japanese chisels you really can't beat the blue steel Matsumura chisels from Japan Woodworker. Excellent bang for the buck among Japanese chisels...and chisels in general.

Layne Usual disclaimers apply.

Reply to
Anonymous

I saw an expose on some t.v. news magazine that had a female producer of Korean descent pose undercover as an immigrant worker in New York's garment district. Immigrants would gather on the street corners and bid for work in the sweatshops (lowest bid wins). This undercover producer won the bid at an incredulous $1 an hour. She worked for 12+ hours with no lunch break...even bathroom breaks were severly frowned upon with the threat of being fired. In some of the sweatshops she worked in there were rats crawling around, had loose live electrical wires, fire exits were blocked, and more than one stiffed her of her hard earned wages. So before you start complaining about buying Made in China, you might want to reconsider buying Made in America.

FWIW, I've visited sweatshops here in LA in the Fall when it's relatively cool, but can imagine how hot it could get in the summer with 90+ degree temps and no A/C.

Layne

Reply to
Anonymous

These got rated pretty low by comparison to the others. They may not be the best steel, but the hardness of the steel isn't everything. There's definitely something to be said for a tool that just "feels" right. I wouldn't trade my set of these for anything.

Mike in Mystic wrote in news:uUusb.28736$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

I have a set of Marples chisels and they won't hold an edge very long at all. I use them on Mesquite, which is about twice as hard as Oak. I have been trying to decide between two cherries or the Sorby chisels. What chisel would ya'll pick if money was no object?? Michael

Reply to
Michael Burton