Best bang for ten bucks ...

Page 1 of 2
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page0675
If you use pocket hole joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today.
Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods).
FWIW ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/31/12 3:01 PM, Swingman wrote:

Both, together, work very well. It seems like one without the other allows the seem to slip when the screw enters, about every other time.
--

-MIKE-

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 1:01:09 PM UTC-7, Swingman wrote:
I have a lot of fun near my home where a Harbor Freight is 20 feet away fom Rockler.

and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... -- www.eWoodShop.com Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious) http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

$12.00 more seems a bit like a bit of gouging. I understand they are a specialty retailer so need to have bigger margins to cover the lower volumes and high cost of holding rare inventory for long periods but this confirms to me that their a bit out of line on pricing quite often.

I have to say, if they are making money at $10, regular price at $12 is not price gouging. They do have insurance, inventory, brick and mortar, and employees to pay.
Seriously, I highly suspect that at $10 they are still making 500% mark up and still not price gouging. You don't have to buy it, if it were something you could not live with out, then maybe price gouging.
On 7/31/2012 5:26 PM, Leon wrote:

You save $12.00 the regular price is $21.95.

On 7/31/2012 4:36 PM, Rita and Neil Ward wrote:

Oops, thank you Rita!
On 7/31/2012 4:36 PM, Rita and Neil Ward wrote:

Oops, thank you Rita!
On 7/31/2012 4:26 PM, Leon wrote:

Oooooooooooooops Nevermind. Still there is normally remarkably high mark up on inexpensive products.

and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... -- www.eWoodShop.com Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious) http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

$12.00 more seems a bit like a bit of gouging. I understand they are a specialty retailer so need to have bigger margins to cover the lower volumes and high cost of holding rare inventory for long periods but this confirms to me that their a bit out of line on pricing quite often.

Regular price is $22, save $12, guys. And the $22 is gouging, IMnsHO. Who do they think they are, Veritas? (sorry, Rob, but...)
I'd probably make my own (modify the head on a a quick-release clamp like this? http://tinyurl.com/c3xjp2k ) vs. buying one at the regular price.

Probably so.
-- Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise. -- Margaret Atwood
On 7/31/2012 8:24 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... -- www.eWoodShop.com Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious) http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

normally $12.00 more seems a bit like a bit of gouging. I understand they are a specialty retailer so need to have bigger margins to cover the lower volumes and high cost of holding rare inventory for long periods but this confirms to me that their a bit out of line on pricing quite often.

What in the world does Veritas and or Rob have to do with anything???
You might be shocked if you knew how much mark up there is on clothing.
Bottled water??
Those valve stems on you car wheels have at least 1,000 % mark up.
Seriously the amount of profit made on a product has absolutely no effect on whether you should buy it or not. Can you afford it or not?

On 8/1/12 7:06 AM, Leon wrote:

It always cracks me up when someone says, "It probably only costs them $X to make that and they're ripping us off by selling it for $XX!"
Since when does how much something costs have anything to do with what is charged for it? If that clamp cost them more than $2 to make in China, I'd be surprised. That is irrelevant.
They guy who complains the loudest is usually the one complaining about a client not wanting to pay what he wants to charge for woodworking/carpentry. :-)
--

-MIKE-

joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... -- www.eWoodShop.com Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious) http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

normally $12.00 more seems a bit like a bit of gouging. I understand they are a specialty retailer so need to have bigger margins to cover the lower volumes and high cost of holding rare inventory for long periods but this confirms to me that their a bit out of line on pricing quite often.

Afford?
Which do you want more, the widget or the money? That's the definition of "worth". Both the purchaser and the seller agree on the "worth" and are happy with the transaction (or it doesn't occur).

joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... -- www.eWoodShop.com Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious) http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

normally $12.00 more seems a bit like a bit of gouging. I understand they are a specialty retailer so need to have bigger margins to cover the lower volumes and high cost of holding rare inventory for long periods but this confirms to me that their a bit out of line on pricing quite often.

Rob Lee, not Robatoy, silly.

I make a concerted effort NOT to reward the folks who make windfall profits on anything they sell, from gum on up to vehicles and homes.
Speaking of valve stems, I was starting to mow when I turned a corner and the tractor didn't follow the steering wheel. Just about that time I saw the left front tire come off the outside bead of the rim. <sigh> It took me about ten minutes to go get the jack, a piece of rope, a stick, fill the pig tank, grab a chuck and the valve stem key, and hogtie the thing back into fullness of air. 5 minutes later, after everything was ut away, I continued my mowing. Things ran a whole lot smoother after that. ;)
-- Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise. -- Margaret Atwood

and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... -- www.eWoodShop.com Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious) http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

$12.00 more seems a bit like a bit of gouging. I understand they are a specialty retailer so need to have bigger margins to cover the lower volumes and high cost of holding rare inventory for long periods but this confirms to me that their a bit out of line on pricing quite often.

You suck.
For me I have Woodcraft 1 hour away. HF 1 hour away.
Just can't get there easily.
Rockler doesn't exist for me unless it's online.

That link states online only. It seems to me that it would be trivial to make an equivalent device using a block of wood, a dowel, and a quick grip clamp. Replace the fixed jaw on the clamp with the wood block which has the dowel inserted at the 15 degree angle. The result is a faster and easier to operate device than the Rockler one. Much cheaper too. Art
On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:24:10 PM UTC-7, Artemus wrote:
Actually had another thought also. I wonder if it will work well with my machine made pocket holes that are at 10 or 7 degrees?
On 7/31/2012 4:24 PM, Artemus wrote:

As I stated, I picked one up locally for the same price. It was included in a "one day sale" email flyer from our local Rockler.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 8/1/12 8:49 PM, Artemus wrote:

Make the piece on the right longer so that both piece being screwed together are sitting on that same piece and it'll do what the Rockler does.
--

-MIKE-

Good point, I overlooked that. Thanks. Art