best bandsaw under $1000 - Delta ?

Page 2 of 2

I often wonder just what good putting on an isolation mounted motor does for a band saw. I have never seen an induction motor as being the source for any vibration. The belt, pulleys, wheels and blade are what vibrates on a BS.
Your first one did not have a gasoline motor on it, did it? ;~)
Thanks for all the very valuable information from you all. I am very anxious to get it, and I will be sure to give you my feelings after I get it. Can anyone recommend a good blade for resawing quartersawn white oak? I'm thinking of a 3/4" 2 or 3 TPI blade, but I'm not sure if that's going overboard. I'm remodeling an old American four square just outside of Chicago, by the way. Thanks again for all the great info. Matt
Matt Zach wrote:

For your new saw I'd say a 1/2" 3 tpi TimberWolf would be ideal for resawing. They are low tension and track very well when sharp. I use one for that purpose on an older 28-299 and can attest to the fact that it works well with QSWO.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Swingman wrote:

Best bandsaw blades to my knowledge are the Woodslicer from Highland Hardware in Atlanta and a Sufflok Machinery called Timberwolf. I tried both and am equally happy with either although I seem to order Suffolk blades most of the time. Keep the old dull ones for aluminum, brass, whatever I would not use a good one for. They work great!

I get mine at a local WoodCraft. Below is the url to Suffok Machinery, the manufacturer of the Timberwolf blades:
http://www.suffolkmachinery.com /
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Matt Zach wrote:

There are no good bandsaws priced under $1000US. That isn't a bad starting point for "good bandsaws". There are some "not so bad" band saws for less than $1000. Your delta is somewhere in the middle of the "not so bad". Hank
I appreciate your comments. What types of equipment do you have? Matt
"Henry St.Pierre" wrote:

Matt Zach wrote:

Matt, I was just being a smartass. I've got an older Delta 14" and it is a fine saw for most of what I use it for. I've been using a friends 20" and that is truly a "good saw". Quite a bit over $1000. Wish I could afford it. Hank
I have been considering a Grizzly bandsaw, specifically the 17" G0513 for $750, or possibly the 16" G1073Z for $695.
Any thoughts or insight.
Thanks
Joe

Matt Zach wrote:

===============================================Seems a little late to be asking this question now in my opinion...since you have already made you purchase...
Just live with it....
Bob Griffiths
Matt, I've got some news to share with you and the rest of the Wreck. Today I got a first hand look at the new X5 bandsaw, model 28-475X. I checked out the motor and to my surprise it is NOT resiliently mounted as per the literature from Delta. I called Delta to find out what the scoop is: the literature describing a "resilient mount motor" is an error! So there is one feature you DIDN'T miss by buying a 299A. And you saved some bucks, as well. Way to go.
dave
Matt Zach wrote:

Well that may have answered my comment to you about the supposedly isolation mounted motor.. I really could not see any reason at all to mount a motor in such a way to cut down on vibration when the motor itself is not the source of vibration.
Leon, I can't say it (motor mount) caused the problem with my unit early this year either. I know that if the base had been made more rigidly, the whole unit wouldn't have rocked back and forth at 3-5 hz, but I didn't want to re-engineer the base. Delta claims they haven't gotten any complaints about vibration on the 299A...
My next move will be to have a local dealer fire one of those new bad boys up and then I can judge for myself if the X5 units have less vibration than the 299A that I had. The quick tensioner looks like a good idea. I wonder how well the built in DC port in the base will work compared to the chintzy plastic port on the older models?
dave