best bandsaw under $1000 - Delta ?

There are no good bandsaws priced under $1000US. That isn't a bad starting point for "good bandsaws". There are some "not so bad" band saws for less than $1000. Your delta is somewhere in the middle of the "not so bad". Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Matt Zach

You just couldn't resist the urge to confirm that you're a flaming idiot, could you?

Matt made his decision, bought his new toy and it takes you two seconds to dump on it. REMEMBER when people told you that your new tablesaw could have been bought cheaper and how you started to rant and rave like a little baby? And that was after you annoyed the newsgroup with 5000 questions about what was best. Yet, you're the first one in line to belittle someone else.

YOU REALLY ARE AN IGNORANT TWIT.

And this is not a troll, just stating facts to an idiot.

Reply to
Upscale

================================================ Seems a little late to be asking this question now in my opinion...since you have already made you purchase...

Just live with it....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

On 13 Oct 2003, Upscale spake unto rec.woodworking:

Amen.

I wish someone would write a bit of code that would automatically append the following to each and every one of his posts:

"WARNING! The preceeding is BAD advice, based on ignorance and inexperience."

Not that anyone pays much attention to the whining jerk, but it might keep some newbie from buying a front-end loader and a dumptruck when all he needs is a shovel and a wheelbarrow.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

I have been considering a Grizzly bandsaw, specifically the 17" G0513 for $750, or possibly the 16" G1073Z for $695.

Any thoughts or insight.

Thanks

Joe

Reply to
Joe and Maria

Jeeze, what's wrong with wanting a front-end loader? ;-)

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply) Who still wants a Bobcat B100 for his 30' x 120' lot.

Reply to
Nova

You couldn't resist the urge to be a bit of a twit YOURSELF, could you "UpYours"? I gave him some solutions in case HIS saw turns out to be a POS like mine was. I was given him constructive help in the matter; unlike you who use up bandwidth for character assassination. Think you are a big man, dontcha? I take you out of my twit list, and in the space of a couple of days you go right back to being a CLASS-A JERK. You will be back on the list in a few seconds...

dave

Upscale wrote: snip

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

No, you told him outright he'd purchased a POS and to replace it.

Do us all a favor and put yourself in the twit list.

Reply to
Upscale

Matt, I've got some news to share with you and the rest of the Wreck. Today I got a first hand look at the new X5 bandsaw, model 28-475X. I checked out the motor and to my surprise it is NOT resiliently mounted as per the literature from Delta. I called Delta to find out what the scoop is: the literature describing a "resilient mount motor" is an error! So there is one feature you DIDN'T miss by buying a 299A. And you saved some bucks, as well. Way to go.

dave

Matt Zach wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I often wonder just what good putting on an isolation mounted motor does for a band saw. I have never seen an induction motor as being the source for any vibration. The belt, pulleys, wheels and blade are what vibrates on a BS.

Your first one did not have a gasoline motor on it, did it? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Well that may have answered my comment to you about the supposedly isolation mounted motor.. I really could not see any reason at all to mount a motor in such a way to cut down on vibration when the motor itself is not the source of vibration.

Reply to
Leon

Leon, I can't say it (motor mount) caused the problem with my unit early this year either. I know that if the base had been made more rigidly, the whole unit wouldn't have rocked back and forth at 3-5 hz, but I didn't want to re-engineer the base. Delta claims they haven't gotten any complaints about vibration on the 299A...

My next move will be to have a local dealer fire one of those new bad boys up and then I can judge for myself if the X5 units have less vibration than the 299A that I had. The quick tensioner looks like a good idea. I wonder how well the built in DC port in the base will work compared to the chintzy plastic port on the older models?

dave

Le>>Matt, I've got some news to share with you and the rest of the Wreck.

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Matt, I was just being a smartass. I've got an older Delta 14" and it is a fine saw for most of what I use it for. I've been using a friends 20" and that is truly a "good saw". Quite a bit over $1000. Wish I could afford it. Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre