best bandsaw under $1000 - Delta ?

I just purchased my first real bandsaw from Amazon. I chose the Delta

28-299A "Limited Edition" 14" Band Saw for $799. I considered Jet and Grizzly, as I already own several of their products and am very satisfied. I am curious to find out if anyone else has purchased this saw and what they think about it, and if anyone else has made a selection of a similarly priced bandsaw and would like to hear what comments they have. Matt
Reply to
Matt Zach

I bought the Jet, but the Delta is a better saw. Every budget has a limit and mine topped out at (just short of) the Jet price. I'm very happy with it, but I can see differences between the two. I could not justify the extra $250 difference there was at the time. Things like the wheels in the Delta are a bit beefier.

I went to the store with the intention of buying the Jet 12". Glad I wend the extra and got the 14". Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's a POS. You should have gotten the new X5 version. It has a quick release for the blade, and more importantly the motor is attached with an isolation mount. I had the one you just bought - for about 4 days. I had the dealer pick it up for a full refund. It has a tendency to oscillate front to back at about 3-5 hz, making it a true PITA to follow a cut line. But hey, if YOU like it that's all that matters. I'm gonna wait until one of the local stores has the X5 on display and see if it has fixed all the drawbacks of the 299.

dave

Matt Zach wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I have the Delta model 28-203 which is similar to yours. I examined a lot of band saws and closely compared the Delta and the Jet. The Delta gets my vote, although more $.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Matt Zach

There is a good deal of difference between the 299 and the 299A. If you indeed got the 28-299, you good a good band saw... if you got the 1 1/2HP

28-299A, maybe not.
Reply to
Swingman

that's pretty weird. it's the same basic saw. I know the price has gone up, but it shouldn't be any lighter than the 299. If you check the archives you will find lots of good info to "tune up" your 299. That will include a new cast sheave and a link belt, if you follow popular opinion on what will help tame the 'vibes'. I would not take the word of any online reviews as they are as divergent as the number of reviewers. Just like you don't need to take my word for what I'm saying here; like I said a moment ago--check the archives. I just couldn't see myself modifying a $950 tool the first couple of days of ownership to make it "right". So guys get off on tweaking stuff that they paid good money for, but I expect it to work well out of the box.

I doubt the reviewer's claim that the whole saw and cabinet weighs 180 lbs. The older model is listed as 224 and the X5 at 275. Maybe the reviewer works for Jet? ... I just read the review. In light of the fact that I got a base cabinet for my first Delta BS that lacked the holes for the power cord, it is entirely possible that the reviewer did indeed receive a unit with all the mentioned defects. But as far as the weight is concerned, I doubt that it is LIGHTER than the model you bought. I will make a call on Monday to see if the local store has got one on display.

BTW, if yours vibrates excessively, the FASTEST way to stop the vibration is to grab a 2x4 and place it on the floor by the rear fence rail and clamp it there. That dampened all of the large rocking motions of the unit I had, but I wasn't willing to keep it.

dave

Matt Zach wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

You never can tell, seems like there would be one still sitting on a show room floor somewhere in the boonies. Todd Stock wrote an interesting post back in February about the differences in the 299 and 299A. It's re-posted below for the OP's information, with full credit to Todd:

You did get the best of the 14" saws, but in adding power to the package, Delta made a cost engineering change that moved them in the direction of the imports, quality-wise.

The problem with the new Delta 1.5 hp is that they upp'd the motor speed from 1750 to 3450 (to keep the price point for the motor and drive train identical to the old 28-299) and replaced the excellent balanced steel and iron pulleys that were supplied with the old 3/4 and 1 hp saws with the same crappy cast alloy sheaves that the Jets and other imports are using. This drive train vibe is more noticeable than on the imports because speed is doubled and power is higher on the new Deltas.

Junk the alloy sheave (the motor is likely a machined steel sheave and is probably OK) and invest in a cast iron, balanced Browning sheave for the driven shaft - about $28 from MSC. Make sure you get the proper bore (3/4") and correct 4L pitch diameter (NOT the same as the outside diameter).

Also - swap to a link belt. These are the fixes that Iturra recommends for the Jet and other imports, and appears to be necessary for the new Delta

1.5 hp as well.

I hope Delta gets enough complaints to change the drivetrain back to a balanced system - just one of the many things that justified a higher price tag for the saw."

Hopefully the above will provide some information if he does have the problem with vibration that you, and others, have reported.

Reply to
Swingman

if he just got it, it should be the 299A.

dave

Sw> There is a good deal of difference between the 299 and the 299A. If you

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Swingman brings up a good point. You DID get the 299A, not 299, correct? If you got the "A" that's the one I had all the trouble with. The plain "299" was a lot smoother, but had a 1 hp motor.

dave

Matt Zach wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

FWIW, band saw fences are REALLY easy to make. In my experience, a straight hardwood board clamped to the table is all you need for jobs like tenon cutting. I find most band saw jobs to involve cutting at a mark, rather than setting a fence to scale, as you would with a table saw. Also, since the blade is usually around 1/2" wide, compared to the 5-8" width of a table saw blade (above the table), the fence does not have to be as square to the blade as on a table saw.

I find band saws to require similar precision to a router table when it comes to fences, hence the shop made suggestion.

For resawing I actually prefer a pointed fence, rather than the more common straight fence, as I can easily move the board to deal with drift.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I have the 28-299A and I'm real happy with it.

Since it's the only bandsaw I've ever owned, I can't compare its performance to any other models, but I looked at the 14" Jet along with the Delta and there was no doubt in my mind of the Delta's superior construction. One of these days I'll probably take Todd's advice about upgrading the sheave and replacing the v-belt with a link belt (just on general grounds of tuning up my tools as best I can). But unlike Dave, I've experienced no problem with vibration or sway or other strange behavior and I'm quite happy with the saw just the way it is.

BTW, there's a book around called the Bandsaw Handbook by Mark Dug>I just purchased my first real bandsaw from Amazon. I chose the Delta

john carlson

Get a used Mini-max S45. You'll love it.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I'll be GLAD to...IF you spot me the difference in cost! :)

dave

Lawrence A. Ramsey wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
Matt Zach

John,

Maybe I just got "lucky" and got a clunker. However, the Delta rep showed up at the store, AFTER I returned it. The salesman swears that the rep said that the vibration level of the one I returned was "normal". Do I believe him? No! I wonder if he even bothered to plug it in. In any event, if ALL of the 299A's are as jumpy as the one I had, they would have gotten a raft of complaints...then again, Delta DID put an isolation mounted motor in the X-5!

dave

john carls> I have the 28-299A and I'm real happy with it.

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

For your new saw I'd say a 1/2" 3 tpi TimberWolf would be ideal for resawing. They are low tension and track very well when sharp. I use one for that purpose on an older 28-299 and can attest to the fact that it works well with QSWO.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Matt Zach

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I get mine at a local WoodCraft. Below is the url to Suffok Machinery, the manufacturer of the Timberwolf blades:

Swingman