Best auto wax?

Was the best auto wax these days? I used to use Nu Finish, but I'm not sure if that's still the best stuff for my truck.

Thanks,

S.

Reply to
samson

Pennzoil wheel bearing grease.

Reply to
Leon

Just wondering, is your truck a woodie? If so, use a non-silicone wax or the finish will birds-eye when you try to apply it.

jc

Reply to
Joe

Brake fluid mixed with a bit of trans fluid. Coat the truck and let it sit for 24 hours, then hose it off. Your truck will have a brand new finish, guaranteed.

Reply to
Mike M

I often put off-topic stuff in here;

I wonder if you are using NuFinish because it was rated by some one/thing as #1. I think it states so ("rated #1") on the package, but I think they put it on the liquid bottle too. Its the soft paste canister, not the liquid bottle that was rated (by Consumers Reports) as #1. The liquid was in the test too but came in down the list Its actually not a wax or mix of any kind, its synthetic. They at Consumers Reports have there problems, some comical, but what they do is sometimes just common sense, as in this case. For this test they had a dozen or so waxes, some colour matched to the car - Acura NSX wax, like over $100 a bottle. And a dozen people to record their overall impression. It was over a long period - six months or a year. I can't remember what or how, but they put the cars through all kinds of conditions, sun, temp, water, etc. Its the only place you could ever get a real test like this done, and its not the professional opinion you need. They didn't actually use cars....they made and painted separate sheet metal panels.

p.s. I just had a hood professionally polished, and its back to looking like the rest of the car. I've been trying to do this for myself for years, with no luck. It had a brown dirty haze, and must be from me waxing in the sun, even when being careful not to let it dry. Must have been my fault. It was awful. From now on I will never wax a car in the sun, or when its hot to the touch. This is a major bummer, but the way its got to be.

Reply to
bent

looks like they've done some testing since that test, which was maybe 5 yrs. ago

Reply to
bent

Thanks for the good info. I went ahead and bought another bottle of Nu Finish. It worked the last time I had a car worth waxing. It did a good job today.

S.

Reply to
samson

I just tossed the Griot's catalog: they had one type of wax in there for $560--for 8 ounces. I have to wonder just how much of that stuff they sell.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I tried an electric buffer/polisher with compounds and all sandpapers several times with a lot of effort, and nothing, well a little, but it took a trip to the auto body shop to actually get the job done. My m/c may have been the problem, or it could have been the compound, or the sanding, or a combination. I don't doubt I could have done it eventually, but I may have been searching for specifically recommended products, etc., and may have doen damage. I'm glad its over. Never again on hot sheet metal, which means I'll be washing in darkness/shade.

Reply to
bent

A lot of finishes aren't actually wax. I've always used QuicShine 99 - it's a waterless wash/wax that puts a genuine Carnauba wax finish on. You have to find an independent reseller but it's good stuff.

Reply to
Tom

3M and Meguiars both have graduated finishing systems that you can get at automotive paint stores. Go to the Web sites and learn the part numbers though. That's what the body shop would have used. >
Reply to
J. Clarke