Bessey sale - Hartville tool

I've been somewhat interested in the Bessey sale, but not interested enough to buy one of the various packages. I don't like to buy sizes that I really don't want just to get a good price. I found that Hartville Tool is selling the clamps one at a time at the sale price. This was perfect. I wanted four

12" clamps. They are backordered right now, but expect new shipment in 2-3 weeks. I am willing to wait.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

How do the 12" Besseys help you?

I could never get myself to pull the trigger on short K-Bodies. I love the longer versions due to the low deflection beam, etc... that are weaknesses of lighter clamps.

Convince me.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Price and shipping are about the same as LV, plus they offer more kit options, and individual clamp pricing .

However they all seem to be back ordered, and site says "Sale prices good through October 31, 2005, or while supplies last." Earliest shipping date is October 30. Since they can not ship immediately, I'm inclined to believe "supplies" is gone. So you might get them but then you might not. It would be a shame to miss such a good sale. I got mine from LV delivered in 4 days. Gary

Reply to
Gary

Gary, Lee Valley web page only offers sale prices on pre-packaged kits. That's why I passed them by. Their price on individual 12" clamps is $27.59. Hartville is $19.95.

Hartville has already accepted my order at the sale price. I double-checked with them - its only a matter of delayed delivery - not a coin toss.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

One of the first things I discovered about the K-bodies, outside of clamping cabinets was that they worked in holding situations where it was a battle to get my F-clamps to "sit still". I've got some Bessey F-clamps so they are good quality. I constantly find myself using a 24" k-body for utility situations, where 1 clamp will get the job done and it takes 2-3 F clamps and a lot of aggravation. In most of these situations I could have gotten by with a 6-8" clamp and its a pain to have that 24" handle sticking out. Buying the 12" is a luxury I would not allow at full price. I think a lot of people would use them if it weren't for the psychological block of paying nearly $30 for "just" a 12" clamp.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Yes that is what I meant when I said "...plus they offer more kit options (24X40's, w/or w/o blocks), and individual clamp pricing (12's, 24's, 40's,

50's, etc.)."

Good for you!! I agree, being able to pick out the specific clamps you want is better. I'm just leery when they say "while supplies lasts" and deliver October 30. What's up with that? Do they have their "supplies" in a warehouse and are waiting until October 30 to ship the all out on that date? Or is their advertised prices just a come on, and they have very limited "supplies". Call me cynical.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

I really don't know. What is up is their reputation. I got an email that said "Due to the high demand created by the 25th Bessey Anniversary Sale, the clamps are currently on backorder. Our apologies for the delay. We do expect our next shipment withing the next 2-3 weeks and will ship them out for you asap after they arrive."

Nobody else that I could find would sell individual clamps so I have nothing to lose. If they do not honor this order, they will permanently go on my "do not buy" list and I will, of course, dutifully whine and moan about it in here. Like many people here, when we order over the internet, we start with Lee Valley. I'm sure that Robin Lee would clearly state that sometimes their business conditions are such that they cannot compete or won't.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the heads-up.

I was thinking that only LV & WCraft had some sort of deal. I have ordered (router bits) from Hartville recently and have been very satisfied with their service.

I think that this is a good time to expand (if not complete) my Bessey "collection." I want to make one more clamp buy before the end of the month. Gives me more to think about.

I also find the 12 inchers very ueful - in some ways, more so than larger sizes (clamping to bench etc).

Again, thanks.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

I've never used the 12", but I just knew they would be useful. You've made me anxious to get them.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I have a mountain of "F" clamps. What do you mean by "sit still"? I can see where the smaller K's would stand up on the bench, but usually if I'm using a short clamp, it's not a big deal. This could simply be differences in the projects we build.

Me too. My 24 & 31 inch "K"'s are heavily used. I like the way they stand up, stay square, don't mark the work, and don't flex.

Exactly. I get 12" Bessey "F" clamps locally for $8. I've even looked at the lighter-duty, gray Bessey's (Uniclamps?), but I can't seem to pull out the $16 to buy them.

I so want to buy some 12" K's...

Thanks for the insight! Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I talked to the local Woodcraft store. They sold hundreds in days. But they are working with Bessey to honor all October sales.

I heard delivery is scheduled for December. You might not get them until 2006, however...

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Also check out Amazon (Grizzly).

" + 2x40" + 4 KP blocks = 119.95

At Woodcraft, this is $125.15+shipping

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

> 2x24" + 2x40" + 4 KP blocks = 119.95

Correction. I found a better deal on Amazon through Highland Hardware.

Search for "Bessey KBK2440 Cabinet Door Clamp Kit" Featureed Item. Price too low to show. Kit includes two 24-inch clamps, two 40-inch clamps, and one KP block set List Price $239.75 Total Cost = $99.94 w/Free Shipping

So if you want to be a savvy shopper, get it from Amazon/Grizzly, and then get them to match the Amazon/Highland Hardware price plus 10% discount.

However, The Grizzy item is "Bessey H2389 K-Body / Block Set" while the Highland Hardware is "Bessey KBK2440 Cabinet Door Clamp Kit"

As far as I can tell, these are the same item. both had 2x24" and 2x40" plus the KP Blocks set.

Have fun, and let us know if it works. I bought the KBK2440 set with a $50 certificate, for $49.94.

Let's see if I get it in 7 days. Last few items I got from Amazon have been delayed months. :-(

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Sorry I did not reply sooner. I did not realize this thread was still active (gotta bet me a better newsreader).

"won't sit still" is my description of what happens when an F-clamp is used to clamp something that has less than 2" wide flat surface. A good example is using the f-clamp with the screw side "button" face against a 3/4" wood edge. Unless you center it perfectly, it will tend to slide off to the slide. A bessey k-body clamps just fine across a relatively thin edge, if there is something flat on the other side.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob