Bessey K Body clamp problem

I assume everyone is familiar with these clamps. You will remember that they have a plastic rail support at the far end which servesas a support and it prevents the movable part of the clamp from falling off the end. These supports can be removed if you want to turn the clamp into a spreading clamp. It turns out that if you hang the clamps vertically from a support and if the movable part of the clamps comes flying down toward the plastic rail support, it can break off the plastic rail support. DAMHIKT. I have searched high a low for a replacement for the broken plastic rail support with no luck. I don't want to epoxy what is left of the support in the hole because then I can't remove it and if I run a bolt through it (current solution), the clamp will not open to its fullest dimension. Does anyone know how I might be able to buy one of these? I have called a couple of woodworking shops in my area (Rockler and Woodcraft) with no luck.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Gee, mine fall off sometimes. I find them on the floor of the shop. I never once considered spending more than .02 milliseconds thinking about them. I toss them aside and MAYBE in a week or so I MIGHT get around to popping them back on...or not.

Dave

Reply to
David

I would be willing to bet that if you follow this kink and tell them your problem they just might send you some for free.

Leon

Most of the ones I have are the older version that have a crimp to prevent the clamp foot from falling off. I have ground some down to remove the foot but for the others, I prefer the foot stays put. As for the newer ones with the plastic support, they have been long since tossed and the end spot welded to prevent the foot from flying off. Afterall, how many spreading clamps does one need?

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

If that little plastic part on the Bessy is suppose to work like the ones on the Cabinet Master, it works great in that you do not have to lift the sliding clamp up off the table surface when moving it towards the piece being clamped.

Reply to
Leon

1) Hang them heavy end down. 2) I had one come broken from Lee Valley. They sent me a replacement (just the black plastic foot). Call 'em and see if htey have any more.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Reply to
Dick Snyder

That is great. I don't know why I couldn't find this website as I googled until my fingerprints wore off but thanks - I will call them tomorrow.

Thanks.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Call Bessey about repair parts

John

Reply to
john

A tip when searching for a company. Add "company" at the end. As an example, Bessy Clamp Company

Reply to
Leon

One of mine arrived broken from Lee Valley (presumably damages in transit). The provided me with replacements.

The thing about LV... they are really no better than anybody else at the initial transaction, but they Always Always Always make it right if there is a problem.

Perhaps they can help you out.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Hi Dick -

We have these - give me a shout with your address, and we'll get you fixed up.

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

Thanks anyway Rob. Based on a link to the Bessey US site provided to me yesterday by Leon, I called customer service at Bessey this morning, They are going to send me a replacement for the broken piece at no charge.

Dick

P.S. I heard that Lee Valley did a great job at customer service. I am impressed that you would make this offer to me!

Reply to
Dick Snyder

(snip)

No worries - Bessey gave us a bunch of parts for just that reason.... spending a postage stamp on generating goodwill is never a bad choice.... :)

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee