Bessey Deal at Rockler

Fantastic pricing. 6 clamps for 179 Plus a bessey stool
http://www.rockler.com/bessey-pneumatic-shop-stool-with-6-piece-parallel-clamp-pack
--
Jeff

On 11/26/2015 8:36 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Thia IS a good deal but these are the Bessey JUNIOR Revo clamps.
I ended up ordering Jet, gasp, From International Tool.
I'll add pads to the faces.
http://www.internationaltool.com/specials/jet-clamps?utm_source=nov15e&utm_campaign=nwlsnov15e
On 11/26/2015 10:54 AM, Leon wrote:

That looks like a really attractive price. But they mar the wood? Do you mean that you see a rectangle on the wood afterward, corresponding with the edges of the clamp face? What sort of pads do you intend to put on them>
On 11/26/2015 9:39 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Yes my Jets, which I have had for several years, will leave an imprint/impression on the work If I don't use a scrap piece of wood between the clamp and the work.
None the less I ordered 2-24" and 2-31" for less than $100 shipped. The Jets tend to have all of the best features in one clamp aside from the above stated fact. For 50% off I can figure out a way to attach a buffer to the clamp faces.
I will probably attach some scrap mahogany, walnut, or poplar pads, something as soft or softer than the wood I am clamping. And I'll use rare earth magnets to attach them with.

On 11/27/2015 9:17 AM, Leon wrote:

I wonder if simply easing the edges of the clamp faces with sandpaper would fix it.
On 11/27/2015 9:08 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

[snip]

Possibly, but I'm thinking that the damage to the workpiece he's trying to prevent is more a function of the relatively small footprint of the clamp faces and the claim that they will exert up to 1,000 lbs clamping pressure. Think along the lines of a woman's high heel on a wood floor or vinyl tile. Something will give with that pressure and it won't be the heel.
Maybe he just needs a caul... ah, but what type?<g>

IIRC the Jet clamps clamping surfaces are equal to or slightly larger than Bessey and Cabinet Master Clamps. In a previous post I have a link to a picture of the the indentation. I purposely only applied enough pressure to close the joint.
On 11/27/2015 9:08 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

That might be worth a try. Anyway here is one of three doors I glued up yesterday. I used Cabinet Master, Bessey, and the Jet clamps. All looked fine after removing the clamps except this door clamped with the Jet. Oddly the fixed end of the clamp did not leave marks. Look closely and you will see two vertical lines about 2" apart.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/23059541520/in/dateposted-public/
On 11/27/15 3:53 PM, Leon wrote:

He may have something, there. I just looked at the ones I just bought and there is a pronounced mold mark around the perimeter of the moving-end clamp pads that is not present on the fixed end.
I never took that close of a look, but it definitely looks like it could leave those marks. In any case, I will be sanding those mold protrusions off mine before their next use.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/27/15 8:17 AM, Leon wrote:

Woodcraft has all the Jets on sale for 50% off. Couldn't help myself and picked up a pair of 31's and a pair of 40's. I might actually go back for more.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/27/15 3:02 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Just realized I never had any 31's. Might have to go pick up another pair.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/27/2015 3:39 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

A good enough deal to overshadow the marking issue. ;~)
On 11/27/15 3:57 PM, Leon wrote:

I'm brainstorming some fixes for that. Maybe even using plumber's rubber to cut out pads to epoxy onto the clamps.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/27/15 3:39 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yep, went back today and picked up another pair of 31's!
--

-MIKE-

On 11/28/2015 4:10 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Good on yuh!
On 11/26/2015 10:54 AM, Leon wrote:

My bad, I wasn't interested, and I missed that. The junior are lighter duty.
--
Jeff

On 11/26/2015 11:17 PM, woodchucker wrote:

No that is still a great deal especially if you need a new stool in the shop. ;~) I almost bit, I only wanted to add some shorter clamps to my collection. I did not need an extra stool. And I like the bigger clamping faces on the regular sized clamps.
I will say that the reversed color caught my eye as something different and when I read the details I realized that they were the Juniors. I have "1" Junior clamp and seldom use it.