bessey clamp question

I've finally started buying bessey clamps and one problem I ran into the first time I used them was glue getting on the teeth. It's a pain to get off and I started putting pieces of wax paper on the clamp bar where the panel seams would be. Just wondering what others do.
--

Mike S.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net
Mike S. wrote:

Use less glue. ;-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

And J-wax the clamps before use again. Glue pops right off wax.
-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. -- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development ===========================================================
Thanks for the help guys. J-wax worked like a charm.
--
Mike S.
http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong but I don't set the clamp "bite" so far down that squeeze-out is going to get on the teeth.
Allen
Try "Waxing" the bar first. I use a block of wax or finish wax and coat all the bars. They slide easier and glue won't stick...
Schroeder

I have read that the glue sticks to the jaws also. I do not know this for sure but it seems that I have read about that complaint also. Alternatively, Cabinet Masters have not demonstrated this problem since I started using them about 4 years ago.

What kind of glue? I've never seen a PVA (white or yellow) glue whose dried spots wouldn't just pop off any metal they fell on when nudged with an awl or putty knife. Poly glue may be a different proposition, so I can't speak to it.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
My yellow glue must be tougher than your yellow glue, then! Titebond II that gets on my Bessy's is very tenacious. I scrape with an old chisel. Little pieces come off; not the whole glob. Each time I clean glue off, I tell myself to not be so lazy next time and cover the squeeze-out areas of the clamp bars with 3M tape.
Dave
LRod wrote:

I put blue tape on mine (when I remember).
Mike S. wrote:

I've used a brass wire wheel in a hand drill... worked great. Tom

I have not had a problem with my Bessey clamps. After the glue dries it just removes easily with a fingernail, awl or screw driver.
The wax solution seems to be the best way to get the squeezed out glue off the Bessey bar clamps. But for those of us who already have plenty deposited and well adhered to those bars, I have found my bench grinder fitted with a good wire brush wheel to be effective in cleaning off the hardened glue.
You just need to take a bit of care in manipulating the bar around the wire brush wheel and wear plenty of face and eye protection.
Wade snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

Have you considered trying a heat gun to soften the glue so you can scrape it off?
wrote in message news:I6QJe.281

Upscale,
Have you tried this method with any success? What do you use when the glue is soft to remove it completely?

scrape
glue
I don't yet own any Bessey clamps Mike, but it has worked on my pipe and bar clamps that have had carpenter's glue on them.