Bernoulli Spiral Cam Clamps

Make a few spiral cam clamps. Came up with this a couple weeks ago and thought I'd share it here. Let me know your thoughts here or on my blog.
http://garagewoodworks.com/garage_blog/2012/02/20/bernoulli-spiral-clamps /
Cheers, Brian
Nice idea, I think I've seen it before in a book, can't remember which one.
Sorry to see you were laid off. I too lost my job recently, so I know what it feels like.
I'm in IT, so it happens often during the age of outsourcing and just terrible upper management thinking we are a commodity now.
On 3/5/2012 11:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

In article

I've got a use for those right now! I'll be cutting some ply after supper.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

These are a neat idea! The stronger the pull, the tighter they hold. It just occured to me where I have seen them before. This is the same design used on sailboats for "cam cleats" (also called "jam cleats" and for some reason "monkey cleats"). A great gadget to have when things get hectic during a tack or coming about.
On Mar 5, 10:10pm, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

On 3/7/2012 11:51 AM, lektric dan wrote:

The same "offset cam" principle works equally well in an infinitely adjustable tapering jig:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods#5717217667358454546
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

While that's true, Swingy, they are not nearly as ornate and "organic" as the cam style. And they don't have the trendy "bernoulli" name attached to tentatively Yuppify them. <snort>
P.S: Brian, for S&G, research the name Fibonacci.
-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer
On 3/5/2012 10:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Nice to see it being done with shop scraps rather than something you would have to buy. I knew I had previously seen the principal used in wood working clamping before and in a portable version.
http://www.westerntool.com/pioneer-cam-action-edge-clamp.html
Now go back 30 years, LOL
Basically the same as yours but used to clamp odd shapes.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ia91vNwYgLIC&pg=PA91&lpg=PA91&dq=work+bench+surface+cam+clamp&source=bl&ots=kvX5m9BzCV&sig=1p12B-GquNv8TyQ9Lch8EKqgxvY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cqVYT97iEueIsAKy_vjCDQ&ved GUQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=work%20bench%20surface%20cam%20clamp&flse
On 3/8/2012 6:34 AM, Leon wrote:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ia91vNwYgLIC&pg=PA91&lpg=PA91&dq=work+bench+surface+cam+clamp&source=bl&ots=kvX5m9BzCV&sig=1p12B-GquNv8TyQ9Lch8EKqgxvY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cqVYT97iEueIsAKy_vjCDQ&ved GUQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=work%20bench%20surface%20cam%20clamp&flse
More way these clamps are use as illustrated by the Meyer-vise instructions.
http://michaelsgamerules.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/meyervisebenchclampingsystem.pdf