Bending EMT

I learned tonight that my wall joints and ceiling joists don't coincide at the ends. So I'm faced with the following EMT-bending task (illustrated on my web site):

confronting the problem, it stopped me in my tracks. But I think I have a better grip on it now, after making the sketch.

It achieves a bend what would be 270 degrees if done in a naive way, in less than 180. The hard part seems to be getting over the side of the lower stud --which I think may perhaps be best achieved with a long gradual bend away from the stud. IIRC, EMT only needs to be clamped every 10 feet, so this may be less of a problem than I thought it was at first.

I think I will be smart to just practice the fit and then use EMT end-to-end connectors when I achieve a bend that will get the job done. I'll have to check the NEC to be sure those conectors don't need to be accessible.

If you have any suggestions for me, I'm paying close attention! : )

Yes, I have an EMT bender, a hacksaw, and three 8' pieces to run through before I need to go back to the store!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I'm assuming you don't have drywall up at this point. If you have done a lot of pipe bending that may take some doing. Have you considered adding a cross piece between the ceiling 2x4's so you can just make a 90 and keep it simple.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

You haven't told us why it needs to be in that particular configuration, but if it does, perhaps Greenfield would be the way to go?

Greg Guarino

the complex curve part only. You could attach it to the EMT with connectors.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

You could alwats throw in a section of flexible metal conduit?? Liquid-Tite from Delikon would do the job. Dead simple to use and install, and totally code compliant anywhere EMT will work.

Reply to
clare

I do have drywall on the ceiling, I removed it on this area of the wall to replace the switchbox and add the EMT. Thank you for looking--I'm sorry my diagram wasn't clearer.

Reply to
Bill

I haven't done ANY pipe bending yet, but after making the picture, I think I may be able to do it in less time than it took me to make the picture! I felt better after it occurred to me I could use a connector, because then I only need to screw up a 3-4 foot section at a time. That gives me 2 tries for $2! How hard can it be, right? I'll let you know how it goes...

Cheers, Bill

P.S. This problem is under my skin now! Between me and the EMT, one of us is going to yield! : )

Reply to
Bill

Thank you for mentioning FMC, I looked it up. I may look for that if I run through my three 8' pieces of EMT.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

1) Use flexible emt for the bends if allowed by the NEC (or not ;) 2) Fab up a solid rod which can fit in the emt so you can clamp it tightly while bending it, preventing it from twisting while you make the compound angle bends. (Weld a doglegged rod to a thick flat plate with a hole in it so you can bolt it down, holding that bottom end while bending, KWIM,V?) 3) Have a friend who's an electrician bend it for you.

Oh, a 4th is to run the emt at an angle to the lights, thoroughly irritating the owner of the shop. LOL!

-- It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Run the conduit along the side of the joist, stub a 90 (with a 3" kick to the right) down through the top plate.

Chris B.

Chris, Thank you for your suggestion. But, I ended up cutting my losses time-wise, and completing the connection with an 18" piece of ALFLEX (FMC).

Bill

Reply to
Bill