Benchtop Jointers

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:18:33 -0600, "Charlie M. 1958"

I haven't used a benchtop jointer, but that's what Michael Dunbar of Windsor chair fame uses, and he likes it just fine. If it's good enough for him . . .
I've never owned or used a jointer in my woodworking, and IMHO I've made some really nice furniture. I just haven't found it necessary. I do find a thickness planer indispensable. It saves lots of money when you can buy rough stock, and you can tweak the thickness you need. I "joint" edges by ripping on the tablesaw, and find the sawn edges -- with a good blade -- to be more than adequate for glue-ups.
Go for the planer first.
tt
Agreed.

--------------6B395705972C4709EFD5AFA9 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I used to use the Delta 6" benchtop jointer ...the one you can find at Lowes for about $200+. Worked really good since I am also cramped for space. The only problem I had was when it came time to change the knives. Delta used Allen keyed screws to hold the knives in but I was able to only get 2 of the 8 loose. I tried 3 different allen keys, they keys kept bending from the torque I was using. Found a better allen key attachment for my nut driver but was still unable to get them off...even tried heating them, using WD-40, using PB Blaster...nothing would work so I upgraded to a 6" Jet jointer with enclosed stand...
To sum it up, the only problem I had with the Delta was changing the knives.
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote:

--------------6B395705972C4709EFD5AFA9 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------6B395705972C4709EFD5AFA9--