Benches Part 2

I posted the question regarding darkening my mission style benches yesterday. Well I've tried several very dark oils and wipe off stains, but that's the problem, you wipe the color off.

What I have found is a shaded wipe on poly. I've tried it on a test piece I've been using to get the right color and it looks like it will work. But I can't find the specific one I'm looking for, so I'll have to put 2 coats of one color on and 2 coats of another color on to get the look.

My question for the group is has anyone done this with luck? I understand about sanding in-between coats, but if I mix and match the colors in the poly, I hope I get what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Mike Rinken

Mon, Apr 5, 2004, 12:30am (EDT+4) mwrinken@nospam_comcast.net (Mike=A0Rinken) says: I posted the question regarding darkening my mission style benches yesterday.

Mon already? It's only 8:30 Sun eve here.

I've been having some pleasing results using tea stain. Instant tea, half and half, by volume, with hot water. Dries quick, so multiple coats don't take long to do.

JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.

Reply to
J T