Bench Vise Plan

I'd like to make a bench vise using a threader from Beall Tool,

Does anyone know of any plans for making bench vises? Thanks.

Hank

Reply to
Hank Kingwood

It's not big enough. The Beall goes up to 1 1/4" (AFAIR) and you need about 2" minimum for a decent bench vice screw. OTOH, you can cut these quite easily if you rig up a router lathe, or else you find a copy of Diderot's Encyclopedie (yes, the 18th century one) and see how these threads were cut originally.

It's worth finding some fruitwood to cut the screws in, as the threads last better that way. I've seen a nice elm one too, but I'm told it was a swine to cut.

As always, any bench builder should take a look at Taunton Press' "The Workbench Book"

Plenty of benches in there, including a nice Shaker one with wooden screws.

-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:47:42 GMT, Hank Kingwood brought forth from the murky depths:

There are drawings for a leg vise on pg 227 of "The Workbench Book" by Scott Landis. Chapter 9 is titled "Shop-built Vises". See if it's at your library or grab one from Ebay/Amazon/Half/ Abebooks. It's a classic "keeper" book which you will want on your shelf.

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques