Bench vise?

I noticed that some front vises have the rear jaw flush with the workbench edge and others have the rear jaw extruded from the edge. I purchased a Lee Valley front vise and they explain 3 ways to mount them. How important do you guys think it is to have the rear jaw flush with the edge of the table? Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle

Hi Guy,

I think it is quite important. By doing this or having the rear jaw embedded in the bench and using the front apron as the rear jaw surface (essentially equivalent to having the rear jaw mortised even with the apron, just different installation method), you are able to have long boards clamped into the front vise and use board jacks and hold downs at the far end for full support along the length. If the rear jaw sits proud of the apron, you can still use board jacks, but you clamping the board becomes more difficult.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

This is a tough one. My back vise jaw is 3/4" back from the edge. There have been times this helps, other times not. I recall that it took a lot longer to mount the vise than expected. See The Workbench Book by Landis for good advice.

Reply to
Phisherman

I've got mine mounted like yours. The advantage of it, to my mind, is that you can place a piece in the jaws without getting your fingers jammed between the piece and the bench. ie. You can hold your piece with one hand from the top and screw up the vise, with a flush mounted vise you have to hold the piece from the front....if that makes any sense.

I'd mount it in a similar fashion if I had to do it again as I don't find it a problem mounting long boards for jointing with the help of some clamps.

There was an article in FWW about mounting Record-type vises recently. Wish I'd read it before I mounted mine :(

Very happy with my 10" Record though. Half a mind to use one as a tail vise.

Reply to
Frank Shute

My front apron is a piece of oak flooring. The top (of the back jaw section) is crumbling. When I replace it, I'll have a mortised installation. So perhaps starting with a mortise would be a wiser choice when installing a new vise. Easier to slap in a new back jaw than to cut up the apron with the vise mounted.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis