Bench Top Lamination

I had two slabs of Jarrah lined up for the bench top but couldn't bring myself to waste it on a basher-bench. So instead, I laminated a bunch of old Aussie Jummywood, gave it a lick with BLO (wash coat only so far) and threw it on the frame. The Record 53 Vice will go on the left and an old screw vice on the right. I'll probably put a face on it with square dogs and drill some holes for Veritas bench dogs (just to annoy the purists).
This is my first attempt at a large lamination job and I have to tell you, you can never have too many clamps. I used 8 x 24" and 4 x 6" Quick Grips, 2 F style, 2 large G clamps and 4 sash cramps. I found out at the end of the clamping that my bar clamps weren't long enough to clamp endwise (6' 6") so I had to slam in some nails and use wedges (panic being the mother of innovation).
Overall, the top is very flat. Some other pics can be found at:
http://woodworking.homeip.net/Wood/Temp/1.jpg
http://woodworking.homeip.net/Wood/Temp/2.jpg
http://woodworking.homeip.net/Wood/Temp/3.jpg
http://woodworking.homeip.net/Wood/Temp/4.jpg
Some other bench pics can be found at:
http://woodworking.homeip.net/Wood/ click on Miscellaneous then click on pictures. I am very pleased at the space the bench gives me by moving all the timber out of the way.
(if it looks familiar - American Woodworker #92 Feb 2002)
Greg
(also posted on abpw & abpf)
I think it looks great, nice work!
Mike
Groggy wrote:

You are right about never enough clamps. I built a workbench top from SYP 2x8 ripped and joined to about 24" wide and 6' long. NEVER ENOUGH CLAMPS!!!!!

Snip
Is it just me or does 'old Aussie Jummywood' look suspiciously like Southern Yellow Pine? I only ask because, quite frankly, I have no idea what Jummywood is, and I'm just sittin' here minwhackin my own wood trying to figure it out...
-Phil Crow

You're correct Phil, Pinus Radiata (aka Jummywood, aka the stuff Jim <Jummy> McNamara uses). I used pine even though it is far from ideal because I wanted to practice the technique of laminating with timber I wouldn't be afraid of experimenting with. I know it will age faster than other surfaces, that's just part of the trade-off.
cheers,
Greg
Just a point of clarification if I might. Radiata is a white pine. Lots of it grown on planations in Australia, New Zeland, and South America, Much different that SYP. It is fast growing (1/2"+ growth rings!) with little late wood. Here is the US it is commonly seen in imported millwork products at home centers and othe discount outlets