Bench top Band saws: Grizzly G1052: Yea? Nay?

Hello, Everyone.

I am considering the purchase of a bench top band saw. I have done a fair amount of research from the archives of this newsgroup (and other related groups) on band saws in general and bench top band saws in particular.

With this posting, I am trying to get a sense of what it like to own the Grizzly G1052 9" Heavy-Duty Bench Top Band saw from the perspective of an owner of this band saw.

Although I am aware of the benefits of owning a 14" (or larger) band saw, there is no way that I can fit one in my (microscopic) apartment (living room) workshop. At present, I have no plans to do any major resawing operations (I buy most of lumber at lumber yards and the Home Depot).

I have looked at the 9, 10, and 12 inch Sears and Delta bench top band saws at Sears and Lowe's. Unfortunately, the 12 inch is too large and I wonder about blade availability for the 10 inch saw. I am not at all impressed with the build quality of the Delta Shopmaster Band saw series. I picked up the 9" Ryobi at the local Home Depot and found it to be amazingly light.

I have read some good reviews of the Ryobi 9" bandsaw and I am considering it as well as the Grizzly.

However, from what I have read thus far, the Grizzly G1052 has "that 'big saw feel' in a package that fits in the smallest of shops!"

My questions are as follows:

1) If you own a G1052, what has been your experience with the saw thus far?

2) Do/did you consider the G1052 worth the price?

3) Have you had difficulty finding aftermarket blades and/or accessories for the G1052?

4) If you had to do it all over again, would you buy this saw?

Please send your replies to me directly as well as to this newsgroup.

Thanks.

Reply to
Edward Lomax

I don't own the 9" Grizzly, but I did have the 10" Ryobi for a couple years. It actually worked pretty well with a decent blade - I resawed quite a bit of 2" thick white oak, and although the feed rate was pretty slow, it did just fine. The dust collection (via shopvac), roller guides, and quick blade release were nice. The biggest drawback for me was the flex in the table, or rather the lack of table support. The table itself was a thin piece of steel that just wasn't ridgidly connected to the body of the saw. I thought about keeping it with a

1/4" blade for scrolling type work, but ended up selling it after buying a real (16" Griz) BS. This 10" Ryobi is probably a little big for true portable use - it comes with a stand, but if you needed to have it more portable, you could probably bolt it to a piece of 3/4" ply. I think you mentioned the Sears 10" - their model 21400 (on sale now for $130) looks like a good deal, with a cast iron table and roller guides. (It also looks extremely similar to the 10" Rikon, available at Woodcraft). You could buy yourself a selection of good blades, AND a nice LN or LV block plane to remove saw marks, compared to the $300 (shipped) price on the Griz 9"er.

Don't worry about that. You'll want to order better blades no matter which saw you buy, and the better blades are generally available custom-welded to any size you specify. Timberwolf is one common recommendation here, and I've been happy with a couple of their blades, but there have been gripes about their QC recently. Personally, I'd strongly recommend you call Iturra Designs (866-883-8064) and request a catalog - they have a variety of blades, BS accessories, and other bandsaw info. Also, get a bandsaw book (i.e. Mark Duginske). Have fun, Andy (PS - no affiliations with any of these companies, other than as a satisfied customer)

Reply to
Andy

I considered that one, since it has an 8" resaw capability. But decide= d I needed something bigger. But if I was working in an apartment it'd be = my first choice.

--=20 It's turtles, all the way down

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Did you consider using a Scroll saw instead? Would seem to be a bit more apartment friendly.

As a general question to the group is there any inherent advantages of a baby bandsaw over a decent scroll saw? Leastwise ignoring speed and depth of cut and maybe limited resawing? Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

It is highly likely that I will purchase the Sears 10" bandsaw this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

Reply to
Edward Lomax

Let us know what you think of it! Andy

Edward Lomax wrote:

Reply to
Andy

Even a really large scroll saw blade is small compared to a typical band saw blade. This allows greater turning ability, but it can be hard to cut a straight line and the blade will bow backwards on thick cuts unless you go at a snails pace. You'll also be going through blades like they are candy.

Another benefit of a band saw is the blade is always moving down through the stock, pushing it into the table. A scroll saw blade goes up and down through the stock requiring you to keep some pressure on the stock to keep it from bouncing. especially with a reverse tooth blade. Certain cuts at the edge of a small piece are near impossible on a scroll saw but no problem at all on a band saw.

Depends on your application which would be better.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Will do.

As I write this message, it is sitting in my living room waiting to be unpacked. ;-)

Reply to
Edward Lomax

So, what the hell you waitin' for? ... shake a leg, bubba!

Reply to
Swingman