Bench suggestions

I want to make a bench. Has to be simple construction, I have limited skills and tools. I want a storage cube on each end, and open in the middle. I found 2 plans online, but neither is close to my idea. http://popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/furniture/1998/9/boot_bench / http://www.detnews.com/2002/homeimprovement/0207/30/-548758.htm
Is there a standard height & depth for the seat of a bench? Anyone make something like this before? Any pictures available?
Thanks in advance
Mon, Jan 3, 2005, 8:55pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (Kathy) wants to know: I want to make a bench. <snip> Is there a standard height & depth for the seat of a bench?
Plenty of free plans out there, do a google. If nothing you like, make up your own plans. Me, I don't think I'd have an open space, just divide the compartment, if that's what you want..
Anything like that, I fit to be comfortable for me, to Hell with anyone else's comfort, they can suffer.
JOAT EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED. - Death
Take a look at Norm's website www.newyankee.com Project is the Nantucket Settle. Spend the Few dollars for the plans. It is a pretty simple project that can be done modified to be done with limited tools. Norms plans are definately for beginners to get you through the basics.
I want to make a bench. Has to be simple construction, I have limited skills and tools. I want a storage cube on each end, and open in the middle. I found 2 plans online, but neither is close to my idea. http://popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/furniture/1998/9/boot_bench / http://www.detnews.com/2002/homeimprovement/0207/30/-548758.htm
Is there a standard height & depth for the seat of a bench? Anyone make something like this before? Any pictures available?
Thanks in advance

Hi Kathy,
I've made several different kinds of benches. Make the height/depth dependent on who is to use the bench. Too high will cut off circulation. Too low and it makes it difficult to get up off the bench. Take measurements from a comfortable (non-padded) chair and use those dimensions. If you plan to add a bench pad, decrease the height by a half inch or so.
Woodsmith had a nice bench plan years ago, somewhere around issue #50. Maybe you can get a copy of that plan.
www.augusthome.com